YFZ Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Start it...idles fine... Touch the throttle with finger tip and move it 1mm and the idle jumps up to like 3000 rpm and will not come back down for a minute or so.

I can start it...idle it...touch throttle...jumps to 3000. Turn off and repeat.

What the heck!?!?!?!?.?

·
Registered
63 Posts
i had a similar problem. i would check the slide in your carb.(in the same place a butterfly valve that would be on a normal carb) someone had my carb apart before i bought it. the slide is 2 pieces with a round seal in between them. the seal in mine was missing allowing way too much air to flow past the slide. what also didnt help with mine is that someone most have tied to clean the slide with carb clean or something. DO NOT DO THIS! is removes the coating on the slide. if yours is dirty, look up the proper way. i believe you rub it with gas and a soft towel
4FN-14997-00-00
thats the part # for the seal

·
Registered
858 Posts
Like Muskoka said air leak is very possible. Take a can of brake clean or starting fluid and slowly spray all over your intake, valve cover breather hose, head gasket. I prefer to use brake clean
When the quad is idling, when you spray your intake boot the idle will change when the brake cleaner gets sucked in and that will indicate if there is a leak and where it is. Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
without the coating on the slide, the slide sticks on the carb, causing it to jam up and not close all the way.
I have money on this now. I brought it to a shade tree mechanic. Really sounds like he knows what he's talking about, but, am now wondering if the tried to clean it with carb cleaner and messed up that coating. Originally brought to him for a jetting tune up with the ab lid off and HMF pipes, now he said whenever he just touches the throttle, it will rev up to 3k rpm and have issues coming back down.

Sounds like that slide is getting stuck open slightly. And if/when it idles down, it is when that slide jiggles down.

So now... I am searching for a carb, I think. That is what I posted earlier to the forum, so it wouldn't get lost in this thread as a high idle issue.

Wondering... buy a new carb from ebay and roll the dice on its overall quality or just buy a new valve slide?

What to do.... sheesh.

I have ridden the bike for only 5 minutes now. Just bought it... knowing it had carb problems. Assuming it was just jetting and a oring kit. Not this !

·
Registered
63 Posts
if u can take the carb out and get some pics of the slide it wouldnt hurt. it should be one solid color (dark grey i think) or take the quad to a real shop or, as much as id hate to say it, dealership... (as a last resort though) or a buddies house who knows what hes doing. working on these things isnt all that hard but screwing them up is alot easier. like carb clean on the slide. the key to not screwing things up is research (lots of it) and a copy of an owners manual

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds ridiculous it is coated with a special coating that would be eaten by carb cleaner. But... it is what it is. That may be what the mechanic had done. It may now have costed me more to take it to a cheaper guy. But... I would almost rather spend extra money on it to not take it to the dealer. They are a bunch of arrogant a-holes.

Mechanic explained it better than I can describe it. Best I made of it... the slide is like a garage door that goes up and down in a channel on both sides. The wheels on the door are loose in the channel. Therefore, that slop that is in the wheel/slide causes extra air to seep by. Therefore, creating a higher vacuum. Therefore, increasing the idle.

Not sure of the color of it. When I mentioned... "you didn't spray it with carb cleaner did you?" He steered away from that and told me it wasn't brake cleaner. Leading me to believe he may have... not knowing about the coating. Which heck... I didn't know either. That is a basic tool to clean carbs with. So, I would have found out after the fact then been mad at myself.

I may drop by and see him today to study it. I would really like to know more about the carb. It is like the heart of the bike.

Still hinging on buying an ebay carb that may have issues, versus buying a new new slide/throttle body (?). It may be part 9, valve/vacuum control
5JG-14388-00-00. Not sure.​

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine did this when I first bought it. It was very very lean on the pilot and idle and the idle was set too high. Upped the pilot 2 sizes and tuned idle mixture and brought the idle speed back down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.