YFZ Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here we go brand new yfz with gytr full pipe and k&n with outer wear no air box lid. I got the dyno ket kit. It said to install the 142 main and install their needle on the 5 th groove. They did not supply a pilot. I am in Mesa Az elev. is 1600 ft. Does this sound right or do I need to get the 168 main, a 45 pilot, and the gytr needle set on the 5 th groove. :yfz

·
Registered
556 Posts
I think if you do a search on "dyno jet" on this site, you'll find most of us that have used them, have had bad luck with them. I had one, and ended up trashing it. I'm using the needle, but that's it.

I installed the biggest jet they gave me in the kit, and was worse off than with the stock main jet. Their numbering system is screwy too...

I found out too late that all I needed was like $12 to get where I needed to be.

Anyway, enjoy the bike and welcome to the site!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yeah, Im one of those other people that fricken wasted a bunch of my time with the dyno jet kit. Dont waste any more time is all that I can say. You will never get the thing running right. The right way to do it, is return your crappy dyno jet kit, go down to your yamaha shop with $30 and buy a 165, 168, 170 ,172, 175 main keihin jets, a 45 pilot or a 48 pilot if you have the cam mod, a YZ450 needle (which happens to be the same as the one that comes in the gytr kit for the yfz). All that probably wont even cost that much. What you will probably end up running, at 1600 ft, is a 170M, 45P, yzneedle on 4th pos. and start out with 2 turns out on the mixture screw. Thats just a guesstimate, but its somewhere to start.
Dont bother trying to compare dyno jets #'s to any other type of jet, cause they are all different. Even mikuni and keihin's #'s are a little different come to find out.
Bottom line, dyno jet kits for the yfz450 absolutely suck, and do not work properly!
Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Originally posted by 135boom@Jan 27 2004, 01:04 PM
What you will probably end up running, at 1600 ft, is a 170M, 45P, yzneedle on 4th pos. and start out with 2 turns out on the mixture screw.
That's exactly where I'm at, and I'm @ 2200'. (with the exception of the YZ needle. I'm using the DynoJet needle.)

I probably am a little rich, but that's fine with me. I rarely ride locally.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had the dyno jet kit and now only use the dyno jet needle. The numbering on the jets for sizing is different. I junked the jets but kept the needle. My jetting is different with the dyno jet needle than with a gtyr needle. My mods I run a 168 main, 48 pilot, and 2 1/2 turns on the mixture screw. !68 I run when its below 45 and when its above I run a 165 main.

·
Registered
556 Posts
What clip are you on, bansheekiller? I only installed the DynoJet needle the other day because I added an ESR intake and figured I outgrew the stock needle. I still run the stock pipe w/ baffle out, and have done the cam mod. I figured clip 3 was a good place to start... What do you think?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input. I already dumped the dyno jet kit. I went to kenz cycle tech in mesa az. they set me up with the yz needle and a 178 main running in the 4 th groove. the bike is a little to rich, but I am in the ball park. will drop down on the main a couple. they just had one on the dyno with the same set up as me. we all know these bikes are not the same. :yfz

·
Registered
43 Posts
WHAT'S UP RIDDENRAPTOR, I'M IN MESA ALSO. WE SHOULD HOOK UP SOME TIME, IT WOULD BE NICE TO RIDE WITH SOMEONE WHO CAN KEEP UP :lol ANYWAY HOW DO YOU LIKE KENZ CYCLE, I HEARD THEY WERE PRETTY HIGH DOLLAR. GOOD POST, I'M ABOUT TO ORDER A PIPE, AND I ALMOST BOUGHT A DYNO JET KIT TODAY, GLAD I DIDN'T. WHAT DID ALL THE STUFF COST YOU AT KENZ?
:yfz

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bought the gyt-r stuff with the 450. needle was 13.99 and 4.00 for the jets. I was out to four peaks sat afternoon and again on sun. 1 st tank of gas gone. will be at 4 peaks again this weekend to get more hours on 450 before the dunes prez day weekend. I like kenz they know there stuff so you pay a little more but you get knowledge with it. Not like at the dealer. I got the ext warrenty so will have to take it to the dealer if and when problem comes up. :yfz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts