YFZ Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ill start by saying, I've never changed a clutch myself before. Now that I own my own personal quad I'd like to learn. So I've seen many tutorials on how to change it, seems fairly simple and honestly can't wait to eventually change it. Seems fun. But questions are...
1. When do you know a clutch needs to be replaced? I know guys that have gone years on not changing it. So when do you know? How do you know? Or what do you feel to know?
2. How long will my stock clutch last? (Only ride in glamis sand dunes and go maybe 10 weekends a year on a good year. So I dont push or shift my machine like most racers at all)
3. What are some good clutch kit brands. I see Hinson Racing but wow 1100$ thats got to be top line i assume, what are other decent ones for less? (Don't make money like that)
4. When changing a kit does that mean basket, plates, springs and cover? (The whole thing in other words) or do you only have to change spring and plates or what all do you change?
And last...
5. When changing, I hear and see about these clutch springs, what do thoughs do? Are softer/harder or longer/short ones better?

Thank you guys much for any answers and help in advance. I apperciate it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So ill start by saying, I've never changed a clutch myself before. Now that I own my own personal quad I'd like to learn. So I've seen many tutorials on how to change it, seems fairly simple and honestly can't wait to eventually change it. Seems fun. But questions are...
1. When do you know a clutch needs to be replaced? I know guys that have gone years on not changing it. So when do you know? How do you know? Or what do you feel to know?
2. How long will my stock clutch last? (Only ride in glamis sand dunes and go maybe 10 weekends a year on a good year. So I dont push or shift my machine like most racers at all)
3. What are some good clutch kit brands. I see Hinson Racing but wow 1100$ thats got to be top line i assume, what are other decent ones for less? (Don't make money like that)
4. When changing a kit does that mean basket, plates, springs and cover? (The whole thing in other words) or do you only have to change spring and plates or what all do you change?
And last...
5. When changing, I hear and see about these clutch springs, what do thoughs do? Are softer/harder or longer/short ones better?

Thank you guys much for any answers and help in advance. I apperciate it.
You’ll know when to change your clutch just by feel, if it starts getting loose or slips and the adjuster by the lever doesn’t do any thing then it’s bad. I ride mine really rough at the track and the dunes with a lot of performance parts and it’s still good after four years

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
When the clutch is going bad you will hear and feel like a screeching sound and it wont feel like a solid grab. Watch the partzilla yfz450r videos. Excellent videos to know what you r getting yourself into. Very detailed videos. Plan on getting rid of the slipper system. So far my 18 oem clutch good and ive dumped it many times and i ride my yfz hard. I plan on converting to a 2009R clutch with the GYTR pressure plate. Its just pricy like 500 bills for everything. No matter what clutch u get... CHANGE THE OIL CONSTANTLY !!! MAXIMA FOR THE WIN.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When the clutch is going bad you will hear and feel like a screeching sound and it wont feel like a solid grab. Watch the partzilla yfz450r videos. Excellent videos to know what you r getting yourself into. Very detailed videos. Plan on getting rid of the slipper system. So far my 18 oem clutch good and ive dumped it many times and i ride my yfz hard. I plan on converting to a 2009R clutch with the GYTR pressure plate. Its just pricy like 500 bills for everything. No matter what clutch u get... CHANGE THE OIL CONSTANTLY !!! MAXIMA FOR THE WIN.

Sweet sounds like it won't be a while from now but glad to know itll be obvious when it needs a change.
Also whats a slipper system?
And funny b.c thats the exactly the video I watched. He made it simple.
Ok so any full clutch kit is 500-1000, good to know.
Also yes I change my oil on bikes every time I go out for a long weekend. Some people think its overkill, but i don't care. I take very good care of anything I own.

What are long/shorter or hard/softer springs?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The slipper system on the 2014+ YFZs is apparently yamahas failure. Some say the basket springs (not the ones that put pressure on plates) pop out of place, some say only 3 pins vs a lot more found on the 09r baskets some say weak gears who knows. Just plan on one day converting to a non slipper clutch. Yamaha did a video "showing off" their slipper clutch it is amimated and explains it good.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Sweet sounds like it won't be a while from now but glad to know itll be obvious when it needs a change.
Also whats a slipper system?
And funny b.c thats the exactly the video I watched. He made it simple.
Ok so any full clutch kit is 500-1000, good to know.
Also yes I change my oil on bikes every time I go out for a long weekend. Some people think its overkill, but i don't care. I take very good care of anything I own.

What are long/shorter or hard/softer springs?
If ur stock clutch does not blow up and makes it to 70 hrs convert to a non slipper clutch. Start saving cuse im def not going past 70 hrs on the OEM clutch. We on borrowed time. MORE IF IT IS OUT OF WARRANTY.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts