YFZ Central banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently did the cam mod and im slower!!!i cant believe it...im running a ct racing full exhaust...stock pilot,170 main.......pin at the bottom placement...2.5 turns on the air mix....cam mod...what am i doing wrong?please help......

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
u sound lean....... i think people are running 180 mains with the cam mod

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why is this thing so hard to start?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I have been reading and hearing that after you do the cam mod the electric start simply will not put out enough power to turn it over that well, so you should probably go to kick start. You will have no problems starting if you go kick. The electric start simply is not powerful enough. That is probably why the YFZ is advanced 1 tooth so it can have electric start.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you think im running too lean?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where do i get a kick starter?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I dont have any starting problems with mine what so ever!

It sounds like you could have 2 problems here.

If it were mine, I would go to atleast a 48 pilot at a starting point of 1 1/2 turns out on screw.
You are to lean on your pilot curcuit, that is probally why you are having trouble starting it.

Do you have a stock needle??? Running it on the bottom clip position is way to fat!! I am runnin a stock needle in the 5th grove. That could be why you arent getting the performance out of her that you should be.

Your main sounds OK!!!

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PUT A KICKER ON just because you did the cam mod, thats CRAZY!!!!!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by YFZ_53@Oct 23 2003, 09:38 PM
i think people are running 180 mains with the cam mod
:O

Not @ 4800'.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by NHYFZ450@Oct 24 2003, 04:46 AM
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PUT A KICKER ON just because you did the cam mod, thats CRAZY!!!!!!
You are correct.

Other than battery issues (of which I have none :lol) only a higher compression setup will give you starting fits. My 13:1 setup was easier to kick than electric start. Actually, the 13:1 wasn't that bad with the electric starting, but it sure isn't like the stock compression and electric starting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Remember that with the stock cam mod your also moving the compression release mechanism as you rotate one tooth which is why it is harder to crank over. Although the Cam mod does what is expected with regards to timing, you'll need to replace the cam with a YZF spec cam which also has the compression release mechanism in the proper location if you want to take care any issues with regards to being harder to crank over.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by yfzthumpa@Nov 5 2003, 07:19 AM
is the yz dirt bike needel better than the stock one?????????????why? :yfz
It has a better taper it is the same as the GYTR needle in the jet kit.

It is better because the bikes don't get the green stickers like the quads do so they don't have to worry about emissions, so they can put more fuel to it to make more power hence the better needle.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Originally posted by totalvillain@Oct 24 2003, 03:24 AM
i recently did the cam mod and im slower!!!i cant believe it...im running a ct racing full exhaust...stock pilot,170 main.......pin at the bottom placement...2.5 turns on the air mix....cam mod...what am i doing wrong?please help......
Who did your cam mod? I know of two people who have had thier cams turned the WRONG way and had the same results.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts