YFZ Central banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this may have already been brought up so sorry if it has.
everyone keeps talking about the hmf header not having a heat shield and thats why they dont like it. so i was wondering, cant you wrap the header in the header wrap stuff you get for race cars and high heat parts like that? im sure someone has done this, or is there some reason not to?

·
Registered
474 Posts
good question? I have no idea, but I'd like to know also. A lot of the full pipes I've been looking at, don't have a heat shield. Any suggestions from the more expierence.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Yeah you can use header wrap and it may even help with exhaust scavanging to improve performance a little. But I don't think so, but it will keep your leg cool.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Burned a hole in my freestyle pants Sunday. May try the wrap, but was thinking of making an aluminum shield. Haven't had a problem, with mx pants-just freestyle. I think they hang back closer to the exhaust. :(

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thats why I am selling mine. I just got a pair of Shift freestyle pants, and theres no way I am going to let them get holes burnt in them. And I would rather have something with a heat shield then have to mess with the tape stuff. If I didnt wear that style of pants I would be keeping it, but I really dont want to have holes in $120+ dollar pants or however much they cost (not sure, xmas present).

Oh yeah, if anybody here wants to buy a HMF shorty full system then check out the for sale forum.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Thats why I am selling mine. I just got a pair of Shift freestyle pants, and theres no way I am going to let them get holes burnt in them. And I would rather have something with a heat shield then have to mess with the tape stuff. If I didnt wear that style of pants I would be keeping it, but I really dont want to have holes in $120+ dollar pants or however much they cost (not sure, xmas present).
JDB,

I think the actual heat shield, that theyr'e talking about is the one up closer to the cyl. head. I have yet to burn anything up front. The carnage that happened to my fs pants, happened back by the right rear tire. There's a small cavity, that when you lean back with fs pants on-the baggy part of the leg gets into the pipe where it turns and goes into the can. On the HMF slipon, this would be where the furthest most back clamp is. I picked up some 1" exhaust wrap today, and after wrapping- I'll also be adding some kind of aluminum shield. Just for insurance. I'll post some pic's after I get the mod done. I know,one thing for sure- I ain't giving up my HMF. I know everyone has their preference, but this pipe and the little bit of jet work I did woke this puppy up! It seems to get faster everytime I ride it.
:D

·
Registered
217 Posts
When I FINALLY order pipes ( HMF or Rossier ), Im going to try and weld on the stock shield... anyone try this yet ?

·
Registered
836 Posts
All you would have to weld on would be the 6mm nut's. Take your new pipe along with your stock heat shield, to some one that build's headers. Have them weld the nuts onto the header pipe.In the correct palce of course. And if'n that don't work. They could probably, weld on some kind of a shield or grate for you. Viola'

Like I said I have yet to get burned on the front part of the pipe. But then I run the stock header pipe( with shield) and the HMF slip on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would be worried that header wrap would promote rust if it got muddy or wet during washing your quad.just a thought......

·
Registered
836 Posts
Good point.

I had thought of that too. Even though it's stainless, one would want to start the bike and let it come back up to operating temp. to dry out the wrap and any other water that may be laying in wait.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I too have melted my baggy's and even a potion of my boot to the pipe from the silencer first time with it on. I tried 2 different kind of home made guards, one was just clamped to the pipe itself, the other is just an aluminum plate that gets bolted to the Subframe bolt. Both work well as all they do is keep your leg from coming in contact. The second one is better in that it doesnt mar the pipe and put a sticker on and it looks alright, cost nothing as we used a piece of scrap aluminum. I would post a pic but I cant.
I have never had a problem with the header but that sucker does get pretty hot. I would think welding the bolts as mentioned would be better than the header wrap.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
when i get a full system i will take the header to my dads shop where they have all of the neccessary tools to weld it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts