YFZ Central banner

Has Anyone Ever Done This

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  CADWELL 
#1 ·
hey guys, my yfz dosnt turn, it has never turned good but i am riding more and more tight tracks now and it is starting to make me mad. idk what u call it but that peec that your tire rods hit, a buddy told me you could hit that witha grinder and let the tires turn sharper and it would work, just wondering if anyone has ever done this?

#5 ·
i steer with the throttle alot, nothing like a good ol' handful of throttle on ol' yammy! lol

#7 ·
true that but sometimes your in some technical stuff[/b]
better be good at featherin the clutch! lol jkjk

then im thinkin the bumper stop thing would work then

#8 ·
w00ter it takes alot more than throtel to make my bike turn, when i get to a burm i have to stop everything im doing and hope there is some mud on the otherside cause my bikes not fixin to turn. thats so agrivating!!!

#9 ·
w00ter it takes alot more than throtel to make my bike turn, when i get to a burm i have to stop everything im doing and hope there is some mud on the otherside cause my bikes not fixin to turn. thats so agrivating!!![/b]
then you got some major suspension issues, pushes way too hard

#10 ·
I run a Gibson stem in which the bottom shaft is long enough to fit 2 small spacers in before you put the flag in. Basicly what this does is completely eliminate bump steer on my YFZ. What it also does is keep the flag from making contact with the frame stops so in other words my steering stops when the backside of one of my wheels reaches the back side of my lower a-arms lol.

So I would YES, you could grind the flag to accomplish the same thing. I also run a Precision though and I have the outter turning adjustment dialed in a little stiffer to help prevent me from binding up.

#13 ·
Yes you can grind them down. Just make sure you don't grind too much off that the tire hits the a-arm or the tie rods hit the shocks. We ground ours down for ice racing (TT tracks you have the bars to the stops all the time).

#14 ·
I ground the stops on everyone of my quads prior to my 07's. No problems at all. It is an old trick used in 3 wheelers for TT and flat tracking.

I agree with some of the other members though, I think you may have some adjustment issues with your front ends. I just put a new front end on mine, and it corners like it is on rails, just as good as stock width if not a tad better due to increased stability. Just my 2 cents. It took a long time to get the camber, toe in and caster like I needed it though. Lots of adjustments and it took 2 people.

#15 ·
If your short on cash go with the grinding route on the steering flag to gain tighter steering, if you have like $50 laying around go to Ebay and search: YFZ Steering Flag, BCS Usually has one or two of the Walsh Adjustables on there, if not keep your eye open and they WILL put another up, lol, I got mine for like $45 plus shipping, and its a buy it now so you dont have to wait for the auction to end...

my 2 pennies
Jon

#16 ·
QUOTE (RND 660 @ Feb 12 2009, 09:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=745982
If your short on cash go with the grinding route on the steering flag to gain tighter steering, if you have like $50 laying around go to Ebay and search: YFZ Steering Flag, BCS Usually has one or two of the Walsh Adjustables on there, if not keep your eye open and they WILL put another up, lol, I got mine for like $45 plus shipping, and its a buy it now so you dont have to wait for the auction to end...

my 2 pennies
Jon[/b]
hey man, what exactly is that steering flag? will it let me turn sharper than mine dose now? riding my 250r ruined me, the tires on it would almost turn compleatly flat, but my yfz, damn!! lol

#17 ·
QUOTE (yfzcomingsoon @ Feb 13 2009, 08:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=746294
hey man, what exactly is that steering flag? will it let me turn sharper than mine dose now? riding my 250r ruined me, the tires on it would almost turn compleatly flat, but my yfz, damn!! lol[/b]
The steering flag is the metal plate in which the inner tie rod ends hook up to as well as the steering stem. It's got matching splines that match the steering stem. I can careless for this set-up and would've been nice to have a 250r set-up where the flag is actually part of the steering stem which is probably why you're confused.

Here's the Walsh flag...and I believe that Houser offers one too..

Visit My Website

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.