YFZ Central banner

Hardcore Brake Rotors

3K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Premis 
#1 ·
hey thought you guys might like to look at these rotors, they are off my LRD/Roll quad. I think a rocck got stuck in them, but that is no excuse for this. Oh, and if you think this is a one time deal, guess again. This happened at Red Bud after two laps. After that the guys at hardcore came over to look at it, assured me that it was a fluke and gave me a new one, well your looking at the "replacement one" now. :angry

#3 ·
Originally posted by gnc_118@Nov 22 2003, 04:27 AM
okay um, for some reason my reply box won't let me post pics, stay tuned i'll get it figured out
thats cuz u can no longer upload pics........ theres an IMG buttom above the reply thing..... go to the pic u want to post.... right click and go to properites at the bottom of the context sensitive menu that will come up....... a window will appear after you click properties........ go to the URL in the middle of the window.... and highlight/copy it........ then come back on here and that lil IMG button...... click it....... put the URL you copied, then click the IMG button once more.....
*NOTE* You should only click the IMG buttom twice.

#6 ·
Originally posted by gnc_118@Nov 22 2003, 11:28 PM
the pics are not on the internet, they are on my hard drive. how do i do that, why do we have to pay, that is ridiculous :nono
IMAGESTATION<------------------------ go to that link right there and make an account and you can upload as many images as you want....... then go copy the URL on those and u can post them

#8 ·
That sucks man. The same thing happened to Doug Gust, I know he was using Hardkor hubs but I'm not sure if he had those rotors too.

#10 ·
Originally posted by dawzie@Nov 23 2003, 06:49 AM
I dont see how the hubs would have anything to do with it. Looks like a rotor problem. GNC_118, what do you think is causing this ??
hmm..... it looks like the rotor is built into the hub :what what do yall think?

#13 ·
okay... that is not a hardkor hub it is a RPM hub, it has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE HUB, the rotor bolts on to the hub with three bolts. we think that hardkor doesn't heat treat the rotors or they skimp on the metal quality. I have been running braking(the company) rotors for 7 years and have rarely ever bent them, if I ever did bend them it was just a minor tweak (maybe 1-2 degrees) these were just poorly made. not sure how it happened but it has happened twice. You guys can run what you want but I will be going back to braking rotors.

#14 ·
My response to the post made by gnc_118:

Our rotors are indeed softer than most of out competitors. They are made that way on purpose. We didn't skimp on materials or short cut the manufacturing process to save a buck. We build our rotors from a low carbon steel that is softer than the stainless steel rotors. Softer steel offers a greater coefficient of friction, and friction is what is what causes you to stop when the brakes are applied.
We have many satisfied customers using our rotors. Several pro riders have made them their rotor of choice. As I recall, the first set of damaged rotors presented to us at Red Bud was due to an alignment problem. When I came to your pit to examine the brakes, it was clear that the rock that you had stuck in your wheel had bent the brake caliper bracket causing a substantial misalignment between the caliper and rotor. When I gave you the second rotor, I explained that a replacement rotor would suffer the same damage if the bracket wasn't straightened before the brakes were applied again. I am assuming that the damage in the photos is caused by another rock, and not a failure on your part to straighten the caliper bracket.
I am very sorry to hear that you are still not satified with our efforts to resolve your brake rotor issue. We try very hard at Hardkor Engineering to make certain that our customers are always satisfied with our products. WE DO STAND BEHIND OUR PRODUCTS. If anyone who has purchased any of out products is not satisfied with the performance, we ask that they first contact us so we may have the opportunity to make it right. I hate hearing about problems second hand or reading about them on forums.

#16 ·
Craig, i think that when a person has a "legitimate" gripe about something that has occured twice to the person then he/she has every right to air it in public with a big "BUT" there though. The person airing needs to state all the fact like you saying that if they didnt fix their bracket this would happen again.

softer material breaks better huh? cool. didnt know that.

#17 ·
I fully understand the frustration that one experiences when they spend their hard earned money on a product that fails to meet their expectations. I have been in that position myself. My response was not intended to discredit gnc_118, but to present the rest of the facts to the readers.
I believe that forums are a great way to find information, and I encourage people to give their honest opinions about our products. I just hope that negative press on a forum is used only after every effort has been made to resolve the matter.
If anyone ever has a problem with one of our products, please contact me first so that I can have the opportunity to correct the problem. We rely on customer feedback to continually re-evaluate and improve our products. We can't fix what we don't know is broken.

#18 ·
Originally posted by Craig@Hardkor@Dec 5 2003, 03:19 PM
I just hope that negative press on a forum is used only after every effort has been made to resolve the matter.
Exactly. It ought to be carried out in private and if things are not resolved to the customer's satisfaction, go to the forums.

I think there's a lot of younger folks who have not yet learned how to work thru problems such as some of the ones you read about. I'm not trying to suggest that this particular thread is one such instance, but an effort must be made to resolve problems via the proper channels.

#20 ·
ahhh always two sides to a story. :)

#21 ·
craig- you should be in PR- those were some great responses- and handled very professionally.

good to see the manufactures supporting the customers- and the forums.

a LOT of people vase theirpoketbook descisions on these forums- as many of us cant head out to the track to demo alot of products.

no to knock gncc either- because its always good to hear personal experiences- and it being the second try with the rotors he probably felt a warning was warranted.

Either way- Its good to see balanced threads like these to help the working kids out when modding their bikes :rock

#22 ·
Craig,

I appreciate your response. Please don't misunderstand me I think you guys make some great products, I really like your hubs, and you guys are great people and very easy to deal with. I do feel that your brake rotors need some work though. I was very frustrated when I posted that, I lost a couple hundred dollars a few hours earlier (as well as caused nearly $400 damage to my quad) because of this problem, and I was basicaly venting. I too am surprised to hear that softer material brakes better, although, I would rather sacrifice braking power for reliability. Hopefuly this thread can aid your company in improving your rotors. Again, thank you for your response.

P.S. Seatec, after Red Bud (the first incident) we put on two new complete caliper assemblies, so the bracket was replaced.

#23 ·
gnc_118,

Thanks for your resonse as well. I am sincerely sorry that you had another problem with our rotors. We have been and are still currently researching and testing alternative material choices for our rotors that will maintain the same charateristics that we currently have, but offer much greater durability and strength. We make it a practice here at Hardkor Engineering to continually re-evaluate our products and look for ways to improve them. We never consider a product design "finished", because we feel that there is always a way to make them better. Many of the ideas for improving our products come from riders like yourself, so we do appreciate the feedback.

#24 ·
Originally posted by dawzie@Nov 22 2003, 10:49 PM
I dont see how the hubs would have anything to do with it. Looks like a rotor problem. GNC_118, what do you think is causing this ??
:stupid its not the hubs its the rotor

#26 ·
that was a great response. We need more companies to step up in these forums like hardkor just did! I think alot of ppl need to stop coming on here and saying that a product is JUNK just becuase you had a problem with it. Or saying..."Dont buy this product, blah blah blah" If you have a problem with a product, try to handle it with a little more class and contact the company first instead of
b%tching about it. Just my 2 cents :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.