YFZ Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my YFZ a few days ago and took it for ride Sunday and think the bike is awesome however I’m 6’5” and almost killed myself a couple of times when making sharp turns. My knees hit the thumb throttle and it’s a big problem. I already have in order Trail Trech clamp and high bend handlebars and I’m also fabricating spacers to fit under the clamps to raise it even higher. My question is does any one know how high can raise the bars without changing cables and hoses. Is there a place I can buy longer hydraulic hoses and cabling stuff such as clutch or throttle?
A little help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Maybe someone that knows can answer this one but i think a half inch is as high as you can go with the stock throtle cable.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I have the trail-tech with the 1/2 rise x bar. That is your max without changing the front brake line and clutch cable.

I have a twist throttle so I can't comment about the throttle cable lenght with raising the bars.

I am very happy with the Trail-tech system.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, I thought that may help as well. Just waiting for my bars to arrive so I can try.

Thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a prototype trailtech and its 3/4'' higher. The cables are stretched pretty much to their max. To relieve some of the stress, push your bars more towards the front of the bike, that helps A LOT!
Boss is right on about more cable clearance by pushing the bars forward, but unless I'm miss-reading his post, he's talking about bar rotation (correct me if I'm wrong here boss). Also, IMO you should go at least 1" higher than stock for your height. You could go with a 1"+ higher than stock rise on some bars, but to get the cable/line clearance you need, you'd have to rotate the bars too far forward for comfort. This much rotation would affect the grip angle and bend of the bars in a negative way (your grips would rotate upwards), cancelling out the benifits of a good set of tapered bars. Some folks can live with this, but there is another option.

I'm 6'2" and use 2" Rox risers on my YFZ with Fly AERO tapered bars (started with TAG T2's but bent 'em). The rox risers articulate giving you an almost infinite range of adjustment, and allow you to move your bars forward without rotating them. These risers are surprisingly strong to. I bent the T2's on a root wad after a nice roll (long story), and the risers were fine - just had to slap on some new bars. I've also used rox risers on my snowmachines, and if they can handle throwing around and launching a 500lb sled, they can definitley handle a quad. There's also the ABR riser (Articulating Bar Riser), but I think they only come with 7/8" clamps so you couldn't use 1-1/8" tapered bars.

I guesstimated that at the grips, the fly bars have about a 3/4" lower rise over the stock YFZ bars. So overall rise with my set up is about 1-1/4" higher than stock, and is about perfect for my height. I also really like the the bar forward set up. I have long arms to match my tall frame and I feel much more comfortable and less cramped when standing up and launching. Even though you're 3" taller than me, I think you'd be pretty happy with this set up over stock height (you're call).

With the bar forward position I like (you may not though), I'm about maxed out on the stock brake line, there's still enough slack in the throttle cable to go a llittle higher (with stock thumb throttle), and I adjusted the clutch cable out at both the lever and underneath the gas tank (but there's still more room for adjustment here also). When turning full to the right, the brake line is under a little more stress than I'd like, but still do-able. Stock wiring isn't an issue as there's plenty of slack left.

The YFZ is the shiznat of all quads, but it definitely needs some tweakin' for us taller riders. Check out the link for the rox risers, there's a good animation of how the the bars articulate forward. I couldn't find a manufacturer page for the ABR, but you'll find them in online catalogs with a quick google search.

I can post some pics of my set up if your interested.

Rox Risers

·
Registered
625 Posts
Bigbad.
mate try the clutch cable of the yz dirtbike, I believe it is a lot longer, & time to upgrade to braided lines.
That should fix your problems, now you can get some ape hangers. :blah

Geoff.

·
Registered
983 Posts
i am 6'4" and went got the trailtech clamp/bar combo. The bar is stndard (not the High option). it feels fine and roomy for me now but i am at the max for the brake line and dont want to roll my handle bars forward any more. so if you get the trail tech set up wiht the high bend you got problems with the brake line.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Akyfz,

Thanks for the detailed information, it would be great if you could either post or send me some pictures. My email is [email protected] .

Seatec,

I guess I better look into longer hoses since I ordered the high bend handlebars. I was nosing through Dirt Wheels magazine and notice the Ducan Racing sells the front brake line stock length and 2” longer which is probably what I’ll end up getting.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The line is braided and I call them today to find out how much and it's $119.00 for the whole thing, from the handlebars down to the calipers.

Not too bad but I'll until I get the bars tomorrow to figure out if the 2 extra inches will be enough.

www.duncanracing.com

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the detailed information, it would be great if you could either post or send me some pictures.
Will do, I'll send them to your email tonight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts