YFZ Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I run on concrete my handlebars do not match the tires running in an exact straight line. They are off to one direction slightly while the tires run straight.

How does one go about adjusting to obtain correct positioning of the handlebars relative to the tires??

I know the bars are not bent because the top of the steering stem is also offset similar to the bars when the tires are running straight.

I've also checked the toe in per the manual and everything is fine there.

Is there a section of the manual that covers this adjustment or can anyone give me some advise???? thanks

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Are you sure your stem isn't twisted from a hard crash? If not set the bars straight and loosen the jam nuts on the tierod ends and turn the tie rods in or out till the wheels are straight.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe the steering stem is twisted??? not sure .. where do they usually twist? How can I determine if this is my problem?

I did have a minor problem the first day while riding some tight woods with alot of water puddles.. I wheelyed over a puddle and hydro-planed a bit .. ended up going off the trail and the left front tire hit square on a 15 in diameter tree.. wasn't going very fast..maybe 2 to 3 mph on impact .. checked it over very closely but couldn't find anything wrong anywhere. Also checked the toe-in per the shop manual and everything is right on..

What about removing the pitman arm from the sterring stem and repositioning it over by 1 set of splines? would this be easier than adjusting the tie rods?

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
If they are really out of wack, you can take the bottom plate (where the tie rods connect to the stem) off of the stem since it is splined, and move it any direction too. :|

1 - 5 of 5 Posts