YFZ Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my YFZ450 and can’t get enough of it so far. Got a little problem though, I’m 6’5” and the handlebars tend to touch my knees when I turn if you know what I mean. Can any one recommend a handle bar and mounting bracket that I can buy so the I can raise it by 1 to 2 inches without having to buy all new cables and such.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ed

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7@Oct 11 2003, 07:31 PM
if i were you...i would get a +2 stem and some tag t-2 bars.
That is what I was going to say. I dont know about the stem but the TAG T-2 bars w/ mounting kit for sure. THat should raise it about an inch or so.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
check your front brake hose and clutch cable... if you raise more than a 1/2" you''ll also need to replace these two components.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I added an LSR +1up +1forward stem, and my clutch cable was just fine..... Can't say that for the brake lines since I replaced them with steel braided ones though :|

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Got signature? :O

---------------------------

The Early Years.
I was born in 1951, in Mansfield, Ohio. My dad is a retired engineer. He primarily worked on laundry equipment for what was originally Westinghouse. The plant went through several different owners and was closed down the same year dad retired. I am the oldest of six kids. My late mother managed the household. Both of my parents were very involved in all of our school and extra-curricular activities. There were some interesting role reversals. Mom was mostly the one who played sports with us and dad taught us how to sew. (His mother once had a tailor shop.)
The Boy Scouts was a big part of my youth. All of my brothers and I made Eagle Scout. Competitive swimming was also a big deal for me. I was not the athlete in the family, but I was a pretty good swimmer. As a teenager, I worked at the Boy Scout camp as a lifeguard and acquatics instructer, and later lifeguarded at a local public pool.

I graduated from St. Peter's High School in 1969 and received my Bachelor of Science Degree in Radio, TV, Film from Miami University (Oxford, Ohio) in 1973. I stayed in Oxford for about a year to work at a local radio station. That was the worst-paying and most fun job I ever had.

Jobs Before I Started to Freelance.
After trying to find a better job in radio, I gave that up and moved to Dayton, Ohio, where I wrote and produced TV and radio commercials for a local department store. After that I wrote and produced more TV and radio commercials for ad agencies in Columbus, Ohio and Louisville, Kentucky.
In 1980, I went to work for a Louisville company that was a cross between a graphic arts studio and a sales promotion agency. There I wrote many brochures and other sales materials, and developed promotion plans and other marketing plans. My biggest client was Brown-Forman, makers of Southern Comfort, Early Times, Bolla Wine and other beverage alcohol products.

Born to Be a Freelancer.
I started to freelance in 1986, in Louisville. That was going well and I liked Louisville, but a year later I moved to Chicago to become Executive Creative Director for a large, national sales promotion agency, after they waved a lot of money and perks in front of me. Whoops. (The less said about that experience, the better.) That lasted three months and I have been freelancing successfully in Chicago ever since.
At first, most of what I did was sales promotion and that was how I was known. I worked on sales promotion projects for some of Chicago's top agencies and clients. Eventually, I just got bored with it. Sales promotion, even when done at the highest levels, is pretty repetitive. In Louisville I had done a lot of scriptwriting, but nobody in Chicago knew me for that. I started to develop more scriptwriting work and also more brochure writing, which I enjoy. At one time I resisted writing speeches and presentations, but now I do a lot of those too. I also enjoy working with clients on their overall marketing planning. That is often where I am the most valuable.

Special Interests.
I am an expert on beverage alcohol products, Kentucky Bourbon in particular, and not just from drinking it. I have worked on promotion projects for most of the major spirits marketers, and for several beer and wine marketers too. On my own, I wrote, produced and directed a public TV documentary on bourbon called "Made and Bottled in Kentucky" that has been shown on most public television stations in the US. I also publish a newsletter for bourbon enthusiasts called The Bourbon Country Reader and write articles on bourbon for The Malt Advocate magazine.
Perhaps to offset the whiskey work, I do a lot of work with healthcare and insurance accounts.

Because of my work with the National Afro-American Museum in Ohio, I was asked by a publisher to write a book about blues, called Blues Legends. It contains profiles of 20 legendary blues artists and a 10-song CD.

In recent years, I have worked with information technology departments at several large companies, helping the IT people communicate more effectively with their internal “customers.” Between 1995 and 2000, I helped several companies communicate with their internal and external audiences about the Year 2000 computer issue.

To sharpen my analytical skills and generally challenge myself, I began part time legal studies in 1992 at DePaul University College of Law. I received my J.D. degree and was admitted to the Illinois and Federal bars in 1996. Legal practice is a small part of my “services mix,” but I have assisted clients with intellectual property and contract matters, and the legal training helps me a lot with my insurance clients.

OH and I ride a YFZ....it is blue, and pretty

·
Registered
625 Posts
Merriman,
mate you know what the doctor said, you need to take your medicine more often. :blah :blah :blah

Good luck with your projects, Geoff.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Does anyone know if the bottom handle bar clamp from the Raptor 80 will fit the YFZ450? If so, this would be a clean way to raise the bar height.

The width and length of the bolt pattern must be the same since the bottom Raptor 80 clamp is a single piece rather than two separate ones. Here's an illustration of the parts:

http://www.onlinemicrofiche.com/OEM_Images...02YFM80WPC5.gif
8G5-23814-00-00 HOLDER,HANDLE UNDER
95827-08055-00 BOLT, FLANGE 55mm

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I would say no. the raptor 80 has a very narrow plate, compared to the YFZ. Why don't you just get a set of Pro-Taper bar risers and let them do their job? They will raise your bars from 2/3's of an inch to 1 inch depending on the size you buy. Then you can also run the "Fat" 1 1/8 bars if you want. :wtf

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Trail Tech also makes some nice fatty bars (1 1/8"), in which you can still use all the other original cables / hoses / etc. You can also get a billet clamp in stock height, or raised, and either with or without a YFZ logo. I went with the raised billet with logo cause I'm 6'2" and I thought it looked good. In the end I could be happier. Cost for everything was $125 from cyclebuy.com

Link: http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/panoram/b.../bar_clamps.htm

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts