YFZ Central banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
^^ok ya that's not bad,the TM design chain guards for the carbed models are super thin and cheesy,they wouldn't stop anything

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'd put my T.M. Designworks up against the Moose or UPP plus it has a chain guard so if you don't wear boots it won't suck your pants into the chain.
I used to think that until Oct 4th, when my T.M. Design Works screwed me at a race on a fresh engine with NEW cases. Triple mounting points my ass, it just rips those things right off the case. See Attached pics of the damage. I irdered UPP for all my quads the following week.

Are the tusk case savers any good?
I'd say it isn't worth the risk. I had one on my dune quad without any complaints for a couple years, but never threw or broke a chain either. I have broken 2 cases now, both times the case saver survived but the force pushed the whole thing forward and broke the clutch arm portion of the case. I went from a Baldwin to a TMD thinking that the the part that butted up against the stator cover would prevent that from happening again. I was wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hmmm... that ended your day pretty fast I bet. You think the outcome would have been different with the UPP/Moose?
Yeah, I was mad for a good portion of the day. Luckily I had my practice quad with so I was still able to race.

As for the your question, I honestly can't say. The second time, with the TM saver, the master link either came apart or broke and I think the end of the chain whipped up over the saver and slapped the top of it.

I know if it was just a chain that came off the sprocket, it would have saved it for sure. I don't know if the Moose or UPP would have survived a broken chain either, but I can say that my UPP conform to the case like a glove and "appear" to provide significantly more protection.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Update. I'm going to be able to weld it fully assembled. :) so I'm happy camper. I will post pics later.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
This is what the UPP case savers look like on the carbed models and the EFI I'm pretty sure are real similar

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
That looks good but it wouldn't have saved my motor. No one seams to cover the shift shaft.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Ok got the motor out and this is what I found.

It's a BIG hole. I have half of the peace that came out. Now I'm waffling about welding it.
I could warp it so I have to think about this.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Let's say you don't weld it, don't you have to get a new whole cover then? I'm just saying couldn't it be worth a try. If the weld does work, could this affect internal park? I'm just wondering what the "warp" could effect. I guess I'm just asking questions just incase this would happen to me by chance.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The problem is it could warp where it splits and leak oil. My other concern is a hard down shift could put more strain on it and it starts leaking. My rider doesn't notice and runs it out if oil. It could be good for ever or it could all go bad 400 miles from home @ a race. Welding it will save a complete tear down maybe. A case change would be a guaranteed fix but with the added cost and time for a complete motor tear down. And no it would not effect any gears or park. It gets welded then machined back perfect.

·
Registered
689 Posts
So you are going to weld it then have it machined?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
So you are going to weld it then have it machined?
Ya, I think I'm going to give it a shot. I can do it all in house so it won't cost much. I'm just a bit worried about warpage so I'm going to take it slow. I'm just waiting on a new shift shaft then I can start it. Should be here tomorrow or the next.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
By far the best case saver money can buy, even if the chain throws it wont be able to break the mounts like a metal save will. this saver is a moose and will absorb the impact I love it by far better than any saver ive ever ran

41 - 60 of 72 Posts