YFZ Central banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into buying a kick for my yfz and the yami dealership told me if I was gonna race then I might want to think again, cause I guess that with the kickstart you have to eliminate the fan. Their reason was that without the battery the fan will draw so much from the motor that it will really hurt the performance? I thought that to be wrong cause the yzf bike doesnt have a battery and their fans seem to run just fine. Kinda has me baffled but what can ya do? and if you leave the battery in there then you just shot yourself in the foot right!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
the yfz fan runs off of the battery. you cna eliminate the electric start and keep the battery and fan. you will lose shedding off some weight, but not as much as removing the battery and everything all together. also, you have things backwards. for racing, you dont need a fan. since you are moving at a good rate of speed, more than enough air passes into the radiator, so youll be fine.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I plan on loosing my battery, starter, and fan. I have the UM oversise aluminum oil tank already and I ordered a pwr oversize radiator, just for piece of mind. And mine will, of coarse, always be moving fast.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
be careful... your spending all of that money to remove the electricals, to save wieght right?... well then your buying a bigger radiator and oil tank, that will hold more oil and water, and add more wieght... you might not actually be shedding any wieght once your all said and done

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
You don't really need the fan that is why it was designed to be taken off with the kicker.

The bike don't have one does it? No!

My fan never comes on unless I am sitting idleing for a long time anyway.

Look at it like this, when quads are designed the normal everyday rider is kept in mind, well that rider may not ride fast enough to keep air flowing across the rediator, and he may sit and talk alot with the engine running too. But he also is not gonna take off that button and kick this thing.

Now the racer rides fast and if he stops he kills the engine, so therefor no need for the fan. The kicker was also designed to make this bike a true race ready quad, its not meant for the everyday fella. No not saying that you have to race to install the kicker but you know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
be careful... your spending all of that money to remove the electricals, to save wieght right?... well then your buying a bigger radiator and oil tank, that will hold more oil and water, and add more wieght... you might not actually be shedding any wieght once your all said and done
Good point.
Now you got me thinking. I went an weighed a quart of oil in the plastic bottle. It's 3 grams less than 2 lbs. (we'll call it 2 lbs) My oil capacity went up by about 1 quart I think. I can't say exactly how much, because 2 of the bottles I used were open and I was slowly adding and checking since it was my first fill. 2-4lbs on the oil and 2-4lbs on the coolant maybe? I dont know. I'm still not that close to 14 though.

When my radiator comes I'll weigh both and measure fluid capacties better. Even If I left all those electronics, I still would have wanted an oversize radiator so for me I'm loosing weight anyhow.

Plus I've heard of problems with batteries overcharging while riding and melting plastics and so on.

·
Registered
237 Posts
so how much more is the larger rad goin to hold?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by Pahrump@Jan 15 2004, 06:19 PM
Now the racer rides fast and if he stops he kills the engine, so therefor no need for the fan.
I'd be careful running the piss out of your bike then just shutting it off, when you do that your not giving the engine time to cool down properly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Guys...

you can remove the fan (and overflow bottle) and run the stock radiator and stock oil tank and you will be just fine. We made it thru the 12 Hours of America with this setup and never had a problem, even when the jetting began to lean out with the cold nighttime air! You only need the fan if you plan to sit there and idle for a long time! Otherwise, you can putt around or go like holy heck and all will be fine. Don't be talked into gimiks by some of these companies!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'll see how much more fluid the new rad holds and weigh them both with a digital.
What abou Duncan Racing's YFZ melting plastics from overcharging the battery. :angry I'd be upset if it was mine. Not the main reason Im switching but one of em.

I thnk I personally would prefer a kick. Every other bike and quad I've owned was a kick. JMO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts