YFZ Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed it...

I do have a question on the GYTR swinger skid.... How did everyone re-mount the chain slide? The holes on the GYTR do not line up with the stock plastic chain slide.

I drilled it and riveted in place, but was a little disapointed that they did not line up. :re

·
Registered
33 Posts
My GYT-R swingarm skid plate came with a new chain slide already installed. The chain slide on mine is made of white plastic-like material. I got mine from Bob at Magnolia.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
my GYTR swing arm skid also had the chain slide allready installed when I received it and everything lined up perfectly.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys...I got one for less than half price, new...but no chain guard installed...

so, I installed the one from the stock plastic skids...works fine, but just not the PERFECT fit I wanted.

thanks!

I will see If I can buy the aftermarket piece.

Is the chain slide rivetted on or bolted?

thank you!

·
Registered
33 Posts
The chain slide on my gyt-r skid is attached with 2 big rivets. I took a picture of mine,
I hope it will help you.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
:angry THE FIRST TIME I HIT A ROCK WITH THE CHAIN SIDE GUARD IT BROKE THE THE BOLTS THAT GO INTO THE SWING ARM. THE GTYR PLATES WOULD BE GREAT FOR THE SAND, BUT FOR TRAIL USE I WOULD USE THE ARAMDILLO PLATE. IT WILL TAKE MORE ABUSE BECAUSE THE PLATE COVERS BOTH SIDES AND THE IMPACT IS TAKEN BY FOUR BOLTS NOT TWO AND BECAUSE IT IS MADE OF .250 NOT .190. THE BRAKE GUARD DID NOT BREAK BUT IT DID BEND AND PUT SOME NASTY GOUGE'S IN MY BRAKE ROTOR.

·
Registered
983 Posts
PRM SKidplate is another alternative. also .250 gauge aluminum. that sucker is heave and incorporates protection for you linkage as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the armadillo covers the linkage too........good insurance

·
Registered
834 Posts
No better than the stock plastic skid. Get a one piece skid if you want durability.

The mounting bolts broke on mine several times. :angry

·
Registered
834 Posts
GYTR SKID LONG TERM TEST RESULTS:
Okay heres the latest update. Rode today with the new setup (longer hardened bolts with nuts on the backside, brass inserts, and washers in place of shoulder bolts).
The bracket stayed tight to the swingarm, but with only a few small rock hits the whole thing was into the chain again. I pushed it down with my boot every time we stopped but by the time we got done it had ground halfway through the slide block. This guard is a JOKE !!!

I like this part soooo much I am putting the plastic one back on!

ANYONE WANT A SET OF GYTR SKIDS MAKE OFFER!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Okay, anyone who wants my GYTR skid set will have to pick it up off the trail :lol P.O.S. !
The bolts sheared again, and the disc side fell off on the trail.
I still have the chain side,
but it is ground down a bit from the chain wearing through the block while it was all jammed into the sprocket.
Oh well it will make a nifty wheel chock for my trailer :re

This has to be the worst designed piece of flimsy crap ever.
Yamaha must have asked for "something to sell" and nothing more!

WHAT A JOKE!

·
Registered
950 Posts
mine's held up good so far , i run the entire underbody skid ..
a little polishing every once ina while and it shines up real nice

1 - 14 of 14 Posts