YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folx,
i just got the whole GYTR jetting kit. A friend of mine put in a 165 mainfor me a while ago since he had a spare but we never put in the 45 pilot.
How hard is it to put in the 45 pilot and the needle. I read that you have to screw the pilot in and then you take it out two turns or seomthing?
Let me know wiht a small step by step if you can. thanx

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

c'mon guys. whats the deal. how hard is it to put in the pilot and gytr needle?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
10 mins

Loosen the screws on the boots front and rear rotate the carb top to the right (sitting on the bike) and remove the bolt the pilot will be towards the front of the carb take a very small screw driver (flat) and take the jet out screw the new one back in I did not torque mine or nothing just got it about as tight as the one I took out. put the bottom bolt back on and do not overtighten it!!

Then rotate the carb the other way so you can get to the top. take the two allen bolts off then remove the top cover. You will see an allen bolt there remove it be careful not to lose the spring, under that is the needle take a pair of small needle nose and pull it out. Put your clip on the 3-4th clip depending on if you done the cam mod or not nd slip it back in the hole. Put the allen with the spring back in then the top cover and the two screws.

Tighten the boots back up fire her up and speed off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Originally posted by Pahrump@Sep 27 2003, 07:39 AM
10 mins

Loosen the screws on the boots front and rear rotate the carb top to the right (sitting on the bike) and remove the bolt the pilot will be towards the front of the carb take a very small screw driver (flat) and take the jet out screw the new one back in I did not torque mine or nothing just got it about as tight as the one I took out. put the bottom bolt back on and do not overtighten it!!

Then rotate the carb the other way so you can get to the top. take the two allen bolts off then remove the top cover. You will see an allen bolt there remove it be careful not to lose the spring, under that is the needle take a pair of small needle nose and pull it out. Put your clip on the 3-4th clip depending on if you done the cam mod or not nd slip it back in the hole. Put the allen with the spring back in then the top cover and the two screws.

Tighten the boots back up fire her up and speed off.
Well said :D

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now thats what im talking about. thanx for the help.
i havent done the cam mod so needle clip on 3?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
3 is stock move it to the 4th position.

You really should do the cam as well because it only take about 30mins to an hour and is WELL worth it.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that may be so but im new to messing wiht the innerts of a carb andengine and dont want to mess it up. im still a little fuzzy baout replacing the pilot. i dont know what bolt you are talking about? do i have to take the whole bottom off? the service manual is no help aither because the illustration sux

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
There is a big bolt on the very bottom of the carb to drain the bowl.

I think it is like a 17mm or something, just go out and look at your quad and you will see it.

Didn't you notice that when you put the main in that you took the same bolt off?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I forgot, after you get the pilot in and the bolt back in, look in frint of the big bolt on the bottom and take the small flat scredriver and turn the fuel mixture screw all the way in till it seats (do not overtighten) then back it off two turns that should put you pretty close to correct.

Give me your email address and I will email you the JD jetting instructions. Don't let them confuse you just use them as a guide as to the procedure.

Later Scott

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
So after doing the cam mod...theres no doubt about it...u have to rejet? If thats the case then i guess im gona have to wait till next week when i have the money to buy a jet kit.. :cry

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Originally posted by Pahrump@Sep 27 2003, 02:37 PM
I forgot, after you get the pilot in and the bolt back in, look in frint of the big bolt on the bottom and take the small flat scredriver and turn the fuel mixture screw all the way in till it seats (do not overtighten) then back it off two turns that should put you pretty close to correct.

Give me your email address and I will email you the JD jetting instructions. Don't let them confuse you just use them as a guide as to the procedure.

Later Scott
Scott,

Would you mind emailing those directions to me also,, [email protected]

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
333 Posts
i dont know what bolt you all are talking about... four screws on the bottom of the carb... then take the bowl off BAM there is your Main jet right in the middle... and then off to the side there are two more jets on is kinda in a sleave and dosnt have a number on it... the other has a number i "believe" is 90??? anyways you take out the one without a number on it... this is your piolet jet... i noticed that mine was all the way in before i took it out so thats how i replaced the 45 jet...

i have a HMF slip on... air box lid off...

GYTR jet kit with the biggest jet 165 and 45 pilet with the clip on the need in the #4 spot... but still seems rich...

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by YFZ-suprfly@Sep 27 2003, 06:39 PM
i dont know what bolt you all are talking about... four screws on the bottom of the carb... then take the bowl off BAM there is your Main jet right in the middle... and then off to the side there are two more jets on is kinda in a sleave and dosnt have a number on it... the other has a number i "believe" is 90??? anyways you take out the one without a number on it... this is your piolet jet... i noticed that mine was all the way in before i took it out so thats how i replaced the 45 jet...

GYTR jet kit with the biggest jet 165 and 45 pilet with the clip on the need in the #4 spot... but still seems rich...
I am talking about the large bolt in the bottom of the carb there is no need to take the whold float bowl off. Just the Drain Bolt

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Sent emails of directions...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Originally posted by Pahrump+Sep 28 2003, 10:08 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pahrump @ Sep 28 2003, 10:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--YFZ-suprfly@Sep 27 2003, 06:39 PM
i dont know what bolt you all are talking about... four screws on the bottom of the carb... then take the bowl off BAM there is your Main jet right in the middle... and then off to the side there are two more jets  on is kinda in a sleave and dosnt have a number on it... the other has a number i "believe" is 90??? anyways you take out the one without a number on it... this is your piolet jet... i noticed that mine was all the way in before i took it out so thats how i replaced the 45 jet...

GYTR jet kit with the biggest jet 165  and 45 pilet with the clip on the need in the #4 spot... but still seems rich...
I am talking about the large bolt in the bottom of the carb there is no need to take the whold float bowl off. Just the Drain Bolt [/b][/quote]
taking the bowl off is the hard way of doing it, those screws are prone of stripping pretty easy. remove the drain bolt and both jets are right there.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got instructions. thanx .its much clearer now am sure i can do this.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
That is why I say it only takes about 10 mins to do the whole thing cause I did not take aout all those screws just the drain bolt.

I can change mains, and pilot if needed in about 4-5 mins or so, its geting the needle out of the little hole that takes a couple of minutes.

Good luck.... :D

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pahrum.
YOu remove the airbox for this proicedure? i loosened the airboot on both ends of the carb bu really couldnt turn thr carb far enough without fear of tearing a hose or wire.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts