YFZ Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the seal that keeps the tranny oil and coolant seperate i think blew, i took off that vent hose from near the starter and it was milky oil. i drained my motor oil and thats fine, no milk there. just in my tranny oil. anyone have this happen to them and what did you find was the problem?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Isn't the tranny oil and motor oil the same in the YFZ? I thought there was only one oil :what

·
Registered
168 Posts
You might have no problem at all.

The tranny and engine oil are common.

If you're loosing coolant, or the cooant is milky, or you get steamy glycol steam/smell from the engine you might have a problem.

Change the oil, run it for a eazy spell, then check it again.

I bet a cookie you have no problem.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes the yfz has seperate oils for tranny and motor. motor oil was absolutly fine but the tranny oil was milky. i only have about 50 hours on this quad.

·
Registered
240 Posts
:uhoh Uhhh, Tell me how they have seperate oils? I'd be willing to bet money that its all one oil. I have done 2 oils changes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Originally posted by EX 80@Jan 4 2004, 09:31 AM
:uhoh Uhhh, Tell me how they have seperate oils? I'd be willing to bet money that its all one oil. I have done 2 oils changes.
That's what I thought. While I don't own a YFZ I've never heard it mentioned that they use two seperate oils for the tranny and engine.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well how come theres two oil caps one on the left side of the motor, and why was there a milky substance in that vent tube that comes out by the starter? im still wondering if it has one or two oils my self. im gonna go check again right now for maybe a tranny oil drain plug.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Originally posted by DigitMXTracks@Jan 4 2004, 06:36 AM
well how come theres two oil caps one on the left side of the motor, and why was there a milky substance in that vent tube that comes out by the starter? im still wondering if it has one or two oils my self. im gonna go check again right now for maybe a tranny oil drain plug.
Two oil fills for a more reliable re fill after a change.

Prevents drystarts like the Raptor gets.

Note only 1 oil dipstick on the reservior.

The oils are a common 1 circuit system.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by DigitMXTracks@Jan 4 2004, 06:26 AM
yes the yfz has seperate oils for tranny and motor. motor oil was absolutly fine but the tranny oil was milky. i only have about 50 hours on this quad.
The YFZ is a wet sump system and therefor the oil in the tank and the engine do infact mix.

Now as far as the milky substance in that tube it could be a couple of things:

1. A slightly blown head gasket, which I doubt, but change the oil now clean out the breather hose and ride it again for a while and see if it is the same.

2. You got a little condensation in the breather system, and maybe even the charcol canister.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I agree with Pahrump, it most likely just from moisture, but a couple other possiblities, is it possible that you got enough water in your airbox, that some went down that tube?

Maybe while washing it??

Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by NHYFZ450@Jan 4 2004, 08:41 AM
I agree with Pahrump, it most likely just from moisture, but a couple other possiblities, is it possible that you got enough water in your airbox, that some went down that tube?

Maybe while washing it??

Just a thought.
Ahhh very good, maybe water in the crank case vent system???

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes you guys are right i learned that there is no tranny oil and that it is just one oil. i refilled it and i like how you have to refill it! but just about how much do you put in the motor itself not the tank. i added almost a quart in the motor than filled up the tank to full and then ran it for a min and then checked it again and it seems fine, it reads full. so i think im safe.

yes i do think that condensation was the culprit of this problem or washing it.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by DigitMXTracks@Jan 4 2004, 12:37 PM
yes you guys are right i learned that there is no tranny oil and that it is just one oil. i refilled it and i like how you have to refill it! but just about how much do you put in the motor itself not the tank. i added almost a quart in the motor than filled up the tank to full and then ran it for a min and then checked it again and it seems fine, it reads full. so i think im safe.

yes i do think that condensation was the culprit of this problem or washing it.
If you put a quart in the tranny then you put too much in. I would have to look at the service manual but I think that with just a periodic oil change you put like .35-.45 liters in and 1.3/1.4 liters in the tank.

Did you change the filter also? Or atleast clean it fron the inside out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The owner manual says: page 8-11:

With oil filter change: .31 U.S. quart in the crankcase (1/3 qt)
1.64 U.S.quart in the oil tank.

Almost 2 quarts total.

I've done several oil changes on my 2 YFZ's and I recomend a new filter each time. The filter is covered with clutch debris.

Also, watch for the thin washers on the drain screw for both the tank and crankcase.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
YFZ450S Service Manual says this.
On page 3-23

Overhaul

Total Amount
1.95 L (1.72 Imp qt, 2.06 US qt)
Quanity in oil tank
1.55 L (1.36 Imp qt, 1.64 US qt)
Quanity in crankcase
0.40 L (0.35 Imp qt, .042 US qt

Perodic oil change---------------Probably what you are doing

Total amount
1.75 L (1.54 Imp qt. 1.85 US qt)
Quanity in oil tank
1.55 L (1.365 Imp qt, 1.64 US qt)
Quanity in crankcase
.020 L (0.18 Imp qt, 0.21 US qt)

With oil filter replacement--What you should do.

Total amount
1.85 L (1.63 Imp qt, 1.96 US qt
Quanity in oil tank
1.55 L (1.36 Imp qt. 1.64 US qt)
Quanity in crankcase
0.30 L (0.26 Imp qt. 0.32 US qy)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea it was just a periodic change, i cahnge oil in it so often that buying a filter everytime would be a waste of money. i do it every other time to change the filter.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Either way if you addd an entire qt to the crankcase you added too much.

I know that it all mixes and works out to the same but that is too much iol in there at once. Next time you should add the specified amount and the rest to the tank.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Glad that you learned something I try to read these posts everyday until I learn atleast one thing

1 - 19 of 19 Posts