YFZ Central banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
considering buying one but i wanan know what im getting into if i do,my question is , is gusseting the frame necessary for mx useage? if i buy one i wouldnt be too thrilled about tearing it down to the bare frame gusseting it and having to get it re pced, i know i could probaly run a stock ex chassis without cracking it, the yfz chassis appears stronger ....anyone know?

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
the yfz stock chassis is probably the strongest chassis available...you will still want to gusset the frame if you plan on racing hard MX. You don't need to but you will want to.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thing is, cash is tight by the time i bougth a front end, rear end , bars and some other stuff it would be pretty close, frame gusseting and pc would probaly cost a good 200-300 at least, i know with my ex the cracking came from rider error, i was just learning , casing jumps etc, but now im ready for a big kids quad

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
pappy from exriders will do it for 225 i think

and burgard is gussetting it.

They both have some of my parts now.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It is not neccesary. Go ahead if you want but i would only trust a few people to put the gussets in anyway. I dont beleive in looking at a frame and just putting them in the corners where it LOOKS like it needs it. Ive jumped 90 footers on the stock chassis (full aftermarket LT suspension) and cased some 60 footers really hard. I am on my third swingarm, and the second one i had was a 4130 and heat treated steel. Ive bent axles, and my stock frame is in A+ condition, not a sign of stress anywhere. I think YAMAHA put out a really good frame i would say if you dont want to tear it down, dont. If you are going to PC it or something anyway you might want to go ahead.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I know lost creek sells a gusset kit for 150 and a pro peg kit for another 150. Trust me if you don't do it now you will be doing it later. but if you wait you will also be repairing something.

·
Registered
110 Posts
From what i hear the yfz isnt to strong and Ive seen one only sitting on 2 wheels because the whole frame was bent and twisted If you are the ture racer then do it,,, and may I ask why wait??? Lost Creek Cycles nows what they are doing and have experiance with Jason.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive also heard the shocks fell off one in the air, the motors blow all the time, there junk etc

im serious too, i dont go by what i hear from people that dont own one your probaly right about it needing some gussets but whats this gonan cost me?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally posted by freeride132@Nov 26 2003, 09:45 PM
ive also heard the shocks fell off one in the air, the motors blow all the time, there junk etc

im serious too, i dont go by what i hear from people that dont own one your probaly right about it needing some gussets but whats this gonan cost me?
JRD Mechanical is putting a kit out. They do awesome work and will be doing mine for the upcoming season.

They are also doing a powdercoat with a "Super Clear" coating that will last longer than regular powdercoat.

http://www.jrdmech.com

.brit

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
whats a gusset kit, just the plate allready cut? i made my own on my blaster, cut it out of 1/4 steel plate welded it in, works great

1 - 11 of 11 Posts