YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a YFZ 450 today get it next week. I was looking at the specs and it says 4.4 inches groung clearance. T :) he Z400 says 10.1 inches are these guys measuring this from the same place? I think the lowest point should be at the rear axle. The WR450 has a different exhast cam. The difference is the positioning of the auto decompressor the timing is one tooth different I'm wondering has anyone looked into this yet? The YZ 450 has a better hit and more high RPM power. Thanks for your thoughts

·
Registered
126 Posts
They must be measuring from different spots. You can check the Raptor and it officially has 4.5".

I have run the cam advanced 1 tooth (EX) and it starts and runs fine. it takes a little off the bottom but adds to the mid & top, which goes away once you mod it. It will actually be a requirement for the kick starter.

·
Registered
625 Posts
on the 450's the cams are different. The WR cam and the YZ cam are different now. So unfortunatley you have to buy a new exhaust cam.
Isaac

·
Registered
126 Posts
on the 450's the cams are different. The WR cam and the YZ cam are different now. So unfortunatley you have to buy a new exhaust cam.
Isaac
You can acheive YZ cam timing by advancing the OE EX cam.

·
Registered
625 Posts
as I understand it(coming from the Yam manual) the exhaust cams are NOW different on the WR and the YZ so you HAVE to put a new cam in the YFZ engine if it does have the WR cam and you want the YZ cam grind.
Isaac

·
Registered
27 Posts
as I understand it(coming from the Yam manual) the exhaust cams are NOW different on the WR and the YZ so you HAVE to put a new cam in the YFZ engine if it does have the WR cam and you want the YZ cam grind.
Isaac
According to one source (he supplied me with photos) the WR cam is advanced one tooth from the YZ cam. He says that the cam must be retarded one tooth. I have a new YZ cam here and will pull the cam out of the YFZ tommorrow and run the profile to verify the info he gave me. If he is correct, it will be an easy fix with no new parts needed.

LS

·
Registered
27 Posts
LS, Are you working on any parts to be available for the YZF?
I dont know yet. I see no need to build another mouse trap or try to compete with companies with large budgets unless I can design and build a better part or the same part for a lot less. I am working on product development with several companies that I am not at liberty to discuss at this time. I will build anything I need for my quads but have no plans on any particular products at this time. My focus is on performance and handling. So far I have found a lot of things that dont work.

LS

·
Registered
194 Posts
What doesnt work?? Performance or handling, or both???

·
Registered
27 Posts
What doesnt work?? Performance or handling, or both???
Sorry, I did not realize how that sounded. What I meant was I have been trying to improve on the stock YFZ450 and have found a ton of what I hoped to be improvements that did not work. The better the bike the more development needed to realy make an improvement.

LS

·
Registered
151 Posts
Lazarus, what is your response to this quote ?

Hey Lazarus as usual thanks for the brain candy with the dyno data...... Been waiting for you to chime in on the yahoo 400ex forum with any insight..

What are your thoughts on this quote

" First of all, on the new Yamaha the angle of the front A-arms is such where you will have to run the first part of your suspension extremely soft for the little bumps which will cause rolling in the corners compared to a Honda or a Gas Gas and even the Suzuki that are laid back farther at an angle that allows the suspension to be stiffer but yet soak up the small bumps. The handlebar to seat relationship felt like I was riding a Breeze instead of a full size machine. The footpegs were very high so I felt scrunched up on the machine. Maybe it's built for people 5 foot and under but I was very uncomfortable on it. Motor-wise, it has little or no flywheel and was very easy to stall on a smooth moto-cross let alone a rocky, rutted out cross-country course. The motor lacked torque and has little or no way of making a big, torqy motor out of it except for maybe an 80 over piston which is only going to make it stall even easier and with the small battery that's not going to be a good thing if you have to start it all the time. I am sure with a higher steering stem and maybe some Pro Pegs that are lowered the machine might feel better but the handling and the motor are going to be a bigger obstacle for cross-country riders. Everyone that has ridden the Gas Gas was very comfortable on it and adapted to it quickly. "

And last but not least as a follow-up how would you compare the Gas Gas 450 to the new yammy especially in a cross country atmosphere........

Regards

Triston

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I'll give you my thoughts on it, Seeing how GasGas gave them the quad, it looks like a "You pat my back, I'll pat your back" :lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: Lazarus, what is your response to this quote ?

Hey Lazarus as usual thanks for the brain candy with the dyno data...... Been waiting for you to chime in on the yahoo 400ex forum with any insight..

What are your thoughts on this quote

" First of all, on the new Yamaha the angle of the front A-arms is such where you will have to run the first part of your suspension extremely soft for the little bumps which will cause rolling in the corners compared to a Honda or a Gas Gas and even the Suzuki that are laid back farther at an angle that allows the suspension to be stiffer but yet soak up the small bumps.
Triston
The rake in the frame is a lot less then stock Honda - More like the Lobo frame. I prefer more rake for the same reasons that he mentioned. However when properly setup with aftermarket shocks - few people could even tell a differance much less have a problem with it.

LS

·
Registered
27 Posts

The handlebar to seat relationship felt like I was riding a Breeze instead of a full size machine. The footpegs were very high so I felt scrunched up on the machine. Maybe it's built for people 5 foot and under but I was very uncomfortable on it.
Triston
I am a smaller rider - 5' 8" 155 lbs. The bike is comfortable for me as an agressive bike. Sitting on this verses a 400EX is like sitting on a 250r verses a 400ex. I get lower back problems easily when hunched over for agressive riding - but that same position will let you get around the track faster. I tried the relocated footpegs thing on the 250r and 400ex(propegs) and did not like them. I will try them again on this but doubt if I will like them better then stock for aggressive riding.

As far as feeling like a small machine - the front fenders are so far back that it seems like you are riding a blaster. This is OK in the woods but is playing mind games with the MX guys. Cut the fenders (like most MX guys do anyways) and the feeling is gone.

LS

·
Registered
27 Posts

Motor-wise, it has little or no flywheel and was very easy to stall on a smooth moto-cross let alone a rocky, rutted out cross-country course. The motor lacked torque and has little or no way of making a big, torqy motor out of it except for maybe an 80 over piston which is only going to make it stall even easier and with the small battery that's not going to be a good thing if you have to start it all the time.

Triston
In stock form I found the bike to be very stall happy. The setup I have now - very nice and easier to ride then the z400 engine at low RPM.

With the torque slip-on I have on it now and other mods it has more torque then my Z400 or my 400ex at 3000 RPM.

LS

·
Registered
194 Posts
In stock form I found the bike to be very stall happy. The setup I have now - very nice and easier to ride then the z400 engine at low RPM.

With the torque slip-on I have on it now and other mods it has more torque then my Z400 or my 400ex at 3000 RPM.

Thats good to hear, because alot of my ridding is trail ridding, and I found it to be very stall easy also. It reminds me of my banshee when tring to cross water, or crawl over some rough trail sections that a 400 or Raptor have no problems with.

·
Registered
27 Posts

And last but not least as a follow-up how would you compare the Gas Gas 450 to the new yammy especially in a cross country atmosphere........

Regards

Triston
I am not quailified to comment on that. It would not be fair to either bike unless I put the same effort into the GasGas.

From a business point of view - Every company in the US will be building parts for the Yamaha and competition will be at an all time high. GasGas - will be a nitch market with much less competition. If you do well with the GasGas it will be a great market since the companies with the deep pockets are thumbing their nose at them.

As a rider - I like when companies are competing for my dollar = better parts at better prices.

LS

·
Registered
151 Posts
Appreciate your input Lazarus.........

Thanks for the unbiased reporting look forward to hearing more about your testing........

Triston

1 - 20 of 21 Posts