YFZ Central banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all..

i just got two YFZ's and it seems that both of them have a bit of a "grinding" noise as you let off the gas..

let me explain better.. when you are riding in lets say 2nd gear.. and you get off the gas and let the motor slow the bike down... it makes a strange grinding type noise..

am i crazy or is someone else hearing this? it may just be the sound of the motor but it seems strange to me...

the bike runs like a top.. and i love it, but that noise sounds a bit strange...

if you can shed any light on this... let me know!

aaron

·
Registered
519 Posts
Mine makes the same noise ...I believe it's just normal noises ... atleast I hope so . I noticed it and my two friends that tried it out noticed it also . It hauls azz though !~

·
Registered
466 Posts
yep i noticed it the first time i rode it...i talked to my buddy (works at the local delar) said it's probly just the motor/valves, they checked it out for me for free and nothing was wrongso they checked valve clearance and everything and it's all spec...
I think it's the valves to some extent? or maybe it the dragon in there picking his teeth with a rod from a honda? :blah

·
Registered
634 Posts
Just gears slowing down the quad, it will smooth out in a bit.

Or it could be the cam chain tensioner, when you let up, there is slack, and the tensioner runs on friction.

it will smooth out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by daddogrider@Jan 26 2004, 09:04 PM
Just gears slowing down the quad, it will smooth out in a bit.

Or it could be the cam chain tensioner, when you let up, there is slack, and the tensioner runs on friction.

it will smooth out.
good to hear because I noticed that sound this weekend!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THANK GOD! i'm happy i'm not the only one.. i feel better, and i'm ready to race this weekend!!

i love this bike..

i have a full blown 440ex race bike... YUP, i am the guy from 400ex.com and i have jumped ship!

i put a pipe, filter and jet on it and on my "test track" for my desert racing, i was a full MINUTE faster on the 1 1/2 mile course...

can you say FAST!

i suggest changing the bars to the DOUG GUST bend TAG bars... and putting an axle on it... i also got the lonestar hubs so i can use the 10 sets of beadlocks i have from my 400ex

also, look up www.crashers.com for YFZ450 stickers for your window!! only $2.50 each... sweet deal!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yo mine too and i just brought to Broward motors and they said that is just our high performance engines doing there thing! No worries

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
the gears slow the quad down.....its supposed to do that

·
Registered
983 Posts
Well, guys its this. TO make a machine like this as light a spossible they shave weight everywhere. Weight is also shave on the engine cases. THat means that the sounds inside the engine and heard easier and are to a certain extent amplified by a mor resonating case since the walls are thinner.
I had the same thing with my CRF450 when i just got it and i thought the engine was about to explode but. Same deal. thinner egine case.

Don't worry and rip.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Seatec is correct.
Mine is a noisy thing. She rattles and grinds all the while.
My bud has a YZ450 and that engine is noisy as well.
The engine acts as a braking mechanism.Its all in the gears I assume.
The Honda aint got any engine braking so it seems quieter.
I also hear the chain on the plastic runners and Im just starting to get used to it.
Just keep the oil clean and everything adjusted to specs and there shall be no problem with the mill.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Normally when you let off the gas and it slows down, the motor starts to lug and thats when you usually pull in the clutch and coast or go down the 1st!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts