YFZ Central banner

501 - 520 of 536 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,532 Posts
that depends on where you ride and the setup on your yfz... is it stock? modified? if so how modified? If your in the bigger dunes like st anthony or glamis they will do well, smaller dunes like oregon you'll want a hauler

·
Registered
536 Posts
22x11x8 8 paddle gliders. Has anyone ran them on yfz's and how are they
Ran em' on my 54hp '09 and worked great. Don't rob as much power as Extremes all Haulers. A lot depends on mods and where you ride as well.
I ride St. Anthony and LS Utah

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are they good for just racing, or climbing too? Thanks for your help. I can get them for $100 on rims and thought it was a good deal. I bought the quad used and the guy said he had a high comp piston in it, can mod, bigger carb and a few other things I can't remember , but I don't know if its true. Oh yea, yosh pipe and filter too

·
Registered
536 Posts
Are they good for just racing, or climbing too? Thanks for your help. I can get them for $100 on rims and thought it was a good deal. I bought the quad used and the guy said he had a high comp piston in it, can mod, bigger carb and a few other things I can't remember , but I don't know if its true. Oh yea, yosh pipe and filter too
They're great for every type of dune riding. They slide easier than Haulers due to the blade height.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your help. I just bought 3 quads so taking g them out next weekend. I have some 20x11x9 sand snakes also for my YfZ but have read that skat traks seem to be the best

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just picked up an 06 yfz with cam mod two brothers pipe long travel setup and p/p head.

I ride at walden and take a couple trips to glamis and St anthony a year.

I mainly hillshoot and jump and I am looking for the best setup.

I had a built banshee with taller haulers and loved those paddles but it had a few more ponies than the yfz does.Walden has a lot of hill climbs through the trees where you are facing uphill at the bottom of the climb. I am thinking I should go with extremes for the roots at walden and lava rock in idaho but I am also looking into the padla brats just worried about durability.

My buddy has some 10 paddle extremes on his yfz with the big 3 and he does great on the climbs and 300 ft drags.

I realize most of you are recommending 6-8 paddle setups with 21x11x8 but I am not worried too much about the duning aspect and being able to slide around.

I weigh 190 and am going to be on the search for more power soon but nothing crazy probably stick to 60hp.

·
Premium Member
4,532 Posts
I just picked up an 06 yfz with cam mod two brothers pipe long travel setup and p/p head.

I ride at walden and take a couple trips to glamis and St anthony a year.

I mainly hillshoot and jump and I am looking for the best setup.

I had a built banshee with taller haulers and loved those paddles but it had a few more ponies than the yfz does.Walden has a lot of hill climbs through the trees where you are facing uphill at the bottom of the climb. I am thinking I should go with extremes for the roots at walden and lava rock in idaho but I am also looking into the padla brats just worried about durability.

My buddy has some 10 paddle extremes on his yfz with the big 3 and he does great on the climbs and 300 ft drags.

I realize most of you are recommending 6-8 paddle setups with 21x11x8 but I am not worried too much about the duning aspect and being able to slide around.

I weigh 190 and am going to be on the search for more power soon but nothing crazy probably stick to 60hp.
if your looking for more of a drag setup a 22" 6-7 paddle hauler will work well for you unless your looking at doing 300' drags. What works well for short flat races does not work well for long hill races. Those 10 paddle extremes your buddy runs will give up more than a few bike lengths to an identical bike with a 7 hauler on the hill. You can still climb just fine with a 7 hauler also the only place they don't work well is short flat drags. You could take it a step further and do a 22" 8-10 paddle glider and pickup a couple bike lengths on the hill vs a hauler. Here's a good example...

Yfz Tech St Anthony Rally 28 - YouTube

all 3 of those bikes were close power wise and weight wise, but my bike has glidders on it vs haulers on theirs and as soon as we hit the hill i start pulling on them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Here's a video I pulled off YouTube that gives you an idea of the hill climbs I'm talking about at walden they are short and technical. There's lots of tree roots also you still recommend the 6 paddle haulers or 10-12 gliders. I noticed the video you won the race but it took a bit to catch up to the other guys jump. I'm just wondering if that jump would be beneficial for this or not. Would the comp cut brats even stand a chance here?

·
Premium Member
4,532 Posts
Here's a video I pulled off YouTube that gives you an idea of the hill climbs I'm talking about at walden they are short and technical. There's lots of tree roots also you still recommend the 6 paddle haulers or 10-12 gliders. I noticed the video you won the race but it took a bit to catch up to the other guys jump. I'm just wondering if that jump would be beneficial for this or not. Would the comp cut brats even stand a chance here?
I didnt get the best launch on that one, I have other videos where I got a decent launch and the gap gets even bigger. You do give up a little spin off the line with less paddle or a shorter paddle like a glidder or brat but it more than makes up for it up top. My whole point was that there is no one paddle that will work well doing everything your asking for. Those tree shots at walden look even smaller than what we have here in oregon so yes you will need more paddle to pull those off, I would probably try an 8 paddle hauler or extreme for that stuff. You can run an 8 extreme with your mods in st anthony, you'll just be downshifting into first gear to make it up most hills.

·
Registered
418 Posts
On my 470 duner which is now my wife's bike 15/38 gearing 22x11x8 9 paddle extremes 72ro and on my 550 I run 15/41 gearing 22x10x8 12 paddle extremes 72 ro if that helps anyone.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I found a guy locally that's got some 23x10x12 extremes 8 paddle I'm guessing they would be too tall to hill shoot? Haven't seen much in the thread about 23s only 22s and 21s

·
Registered
70 Posts
He also has some 9 paddle 21x12x8s extremes which of the two would be a better setup ill probably get some brats at the end of the year just need something to get by for now

·
Banned
98 Posts
I just ordered a 21-12-8 7 paddle skat trak extreme paddle tire. Its rollout is 72 inches and its for my 2011 YFZ 450r SE. I have a full yoshimura rs2 exhaust, 08 cam intake, fci intake, pcv tuner with autotune, and i weigh about 150 lbs. Do you think this setup will work well? I am going to be climbing hills, jumping, and a little bit of drag racing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The skat trak extreme paddle is a good all around choice. Sounds like a nice ride.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I got extremes in 20x11.00-9 8 paddle extremes . Wil I be over paddled on my R?

501 - 520 of 536 Posts