YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any one here think that the trx 450r stands a chance against the bad @$$ yfz?? according to a dirtwheels artical the trx stands NO CHANCE AT ALL! :rock they say in the motocross world since the motors of both machines(yfz and trx) are out of the bikes the CR 450f wont touch the yfz 450 f I hope so. has anyone heard different??? :what

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think that the YFZ is a better deal. To get the TRX450 up to the specs of the YFZ450 you will have to buy the HRC power up kit and an FCR carb. That will cost way more than the $400.00 price differnce between the two.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Originally posted by ATC83@Sep 23 2003, 01:17 PM
I think that the YFZ is a better deal. To get the TRX450 up to the specs of the YFZ450 you will have to buy the HRC power up kit and an FCR carb. That will cost way more than the $400.00 price differnce between the two.
yep, and the chassis still wont be as good as the YFZ.

im guessin the TRX will be pretty competitive on the track though ... I bet its pretty torquey with lots of low end.

in drags and the sand they are going to get their asses handed to em though :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wouldnt count on Yamaha lowering the price any. The honda doesnt have a FCR carb, to upgrade that is already above the $400 price difference.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You guys have to remember one thing. It's not all about horsepower. The 250r is a classic example. It was not the fastest out there. The tecate smoked it in a drag race. The 250r whooped it's arse on the track though. Look how well the 400ex still performs on the track.

I love the yfz. I rode one and it was an awesome ride :rock, but I wouldn't discount the honda because of some specs. They know how to build a great machine when they put their minds to it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
personally I think it will get smoked on the track and off but that is just opinion. But I or any of us will not know until we can see them both in action. I like dirt wheels but sometime I think they are a little uh questionalbe ;).

I do have some reasons to support my opinion though:
the yfz is as light as the 450R with a battery
the R has a weaker carb in preformance that is
the stock tires are better on the yfz, Honda has z400 tires on it :(
the hcr kit is ok but not all that compared to a simple cam mod
the yfz has titanium valves all around, the honda has steel
unicam is cool but not all that in lowering the center of gravity because the cam cann't contribute to that much weight dispacment.
and lets face it the yfz looks better com on that thing looks like a crouch rocket with side fenders (well looks are up to the owner but the rest is fact :evilgrin )
well Tim Farr's bike looks really good though so maybe it will grow on me but im not tradin my 4fiddy any time soon

·
Registered
319 Posts
ok ok lets get something straight. leave the 250r and 400ex out of this mix, a stock 250r making about 28hp isnt anything compared to a prepped mx bike, and it wont touch a yfz anywhere, I had an 88 with a 86 (short stroke) motor, 38mm pwk, lrd adjustable pipe, boyesean rad valve, ported and bored .070 over. It get smoked everywhere in power and I feel the yfz handles better and fits a racer better than the R ever did. And a 400ex dosent handle nearly as well, nor does it have the brakes, or the power to compete. R's are fading fast if you have one crate it up. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by XCyFz@Sep 24 2003, 06:55 PM
ok ok lets get something straight. leave the 250r and 400ex out of this mix, a stock 250r making about 28hp isnt anything compared to a prepped mx bike, and it wont touch a yfz anywhere, I had an 88 with a 86 (short stroke) motor, 38mm pwk, lrd adjustable pipe, boyesean rad valve, ported and bored .070 over. It get smoked everywhere in power and I feel the yfz handles better and fits a racer better than the R ever did. And a 400ex dosent handle nearly as well, nor does it have the brakes, or the power to compete. R's are fading fast if you have one crate it up. :)
I think you missed my point. I'm not comparing the 250r or 400ex to the yfz. I'm comparing to what was out when they first came out, or soon after. Compare the 250r to the other 2 stokes back in the day and the 250r was clearly the better bike, even though it didn't produce the hp of the other two. Same with the 400ex until recently. It can't hang with a raptor or ds in a straight line but put them on a track and it's a different story. My point is don't discount the new trx because it may be a few hp short of the yfz, and we don't even know that to be the case.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey,
The yfz is great, no doubt. It's hard to knock the Honda though. The best geometry all originated from the 250R. So the 450R will be close. (It needs an FCR definately).
As for dirtwheels, At the mx nationals, I think that the crf's pulled about 90% of the holeshots. Honda has had about 2 months to compare a yfz and do some testing with a guy (Farr) who has rode everything known to man.

We have full Laeger yzf's, full Laeger CRF's and a couple of new YFZ's with all the mods. In drag racing they all run REALLY REALLY close times. So I think it will be on what the guys brand loyalty is.

I think some of the specs on the Honda will be different when production begins. AGAIN the yfz is a really nice bike, if Honda doesn't compare then they have no excuses. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
97 Posts
JDT,
I get what you are saying but it is kinda hard to compare the YFZ to the CRF and think that the 450r is gonna be the same. The CRF that most racers use is much different than what honda is claiming the 450r is in their specs, that is why i think that the clear advantage is with yamaha. And don't you think that ;) Tim Farr kinda has to say that the new honda is the best thing since sliced bread because honda has him on the pay roll. I don't think that he can come out and say what the honda is regardless of his own personal opinion. Not saying that the 450r is not gonna be good or that I know what Farr is thinking, just that he is a payed promoter now. And about frame geometry I personally believe that the YFZ is alot better than the 400ex and marginally better than the 250r so I don't think that honda has an advantage anymore when it comes to frames. and in pro class look again at who pulls the hole, I think that you would be suprised. Pulling the hole is not all that if you want to play it from that angle anyway. I watched crf power pull it at glen helen and then I watched Doug Eichner walk all over him with a KFX in the 2nd lap to the finsih of the race.

·
Registered
33 Posts
and while we're on the subject of quads bein faster than other quads, these people that think well, i'll just put a big bore kit on my Z and then i can run with a yfz, well in that case why don't i wait for a 500 kit for a yfz and flat out smoke your ass again? :lol Just thought i would share with you guys. ;) :yfz

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree, Tim Farr can't say one bad thing about the 450R because he is on the payroll. I think one of the reasons he is there is to make the 450R better than what a bunch of engineers can come up with. (The manufactures need to listen to someone that does ride the machines) I still don't think the front geometry is as good as the R, because of the rake on the Honda seems to help. I think yamaha should have tried a little more degree on the front to help pushing. No doubt the yamaha is TONS better than what we've all had in stock form, and YES the rider makes all the difference. I've seen guys running novice classes with SUPER nice machines, and get beat by stock atv's. IT will all be interesting next season.
Just my Opinion

·
Registered
97 Posts
jdt,
I agree with you totally and I think that tim farr will be great for honda and the design of the 450. I hope that the frame on the 450 is as good as the 250r. As for the frame comparison Sorry that I did not specify, what I mean is that I have a personal preference to the yamaha frame. I think that it pulls from the corner with less sway and whips faster than a 400 or 250 for my riding style. I also like the 250r frame it is great and duh! just about everyone in the aftermarket copies it for a reason. I also think next year is gonna be awsome thank god for these new quads we finally get what quads deserve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think that the TRX will be close to the YFZ in the power category, but will lose when it comes to handling. The a-arms on the trx dosen't have the good goemetry and lowered ride height you get with the curved lower a-arm. Also, they didnt even incorperate dual spring rates into the suspension, which will result in either a compromised plushness or bottoming resistance. The suspension travel on the TRX is pretty weak compared to the YFZ: 8.4" to 9.1 in front and 9.0" to 10.0" in the back. My old 400ex has more rear suspension travel in the TRX. The TRX only has a single piston caliper in front. The wheelbase is shorter, possibly causing it to swap in the rough stuff. The tires are not designed for racing conditions. The only things i can see that are better are the engines dual sump oiling system which seperates the tranny oil fom contaminating the engine oil, the stainless steel muffler, and the longer warranty. So all in all, i am pretty confident that the TRX, at least in stock form, will fall short of peoples expectations.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts