YFZ Central banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im picken up blue YFZ in like 19 days and was just wondering whatgs a good MX pipe out there i was thinking of curtis sparks beecause of the gains but not sure if it works well for MX

help a fella out

greg

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would be interested in getting one of the HMF shorty's to see how performs against my Sparks. Shorty silencers have always been a favorite of mine.
Isaac

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by edgerat@Aug 12 2003, 08:03 PM
I would be interested in getting one of the HMF shorty's to see how performs against my Sparks. Shorty silencers have always been a favorite of mine.
Isaac
get the sparks and get it cut :rock thats wat ima do when i get mine prolly....... it gives it more bottom end (which the YFZ lacks anyway), it louder (which i like) :rock , and it keep people from hitting the pipe as easy if they ram into the back of you (which sucks) :lol

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by bunkerking217@Aug 12 2003, 10:33 PM
get the shorty sparks. gotta love it. i love mine :lol

put it on and was like :O
sparks dnt make a short for the YFZ yet, but if they do......... thats wat ill be gettin...... but if u get a sparks, just get it cut if u want a shorty

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by 450bret350@Aug 12 2003, 11:34 PM
how much to cut off and how?
look in the pic.......... the red line is where bout to cut it, you could even cut a lil more back if u wanted......... and i got my sponsor to do it for me....... so im not exactly sure how........ and the arrow is just saying you can re-rivet the sparks sign where u want it

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I race MX and the Trinity is getting more gains than anyone else. They are catering this pipe for MX.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I dont want to start a war here but DO NOT TRUST Trinity's dyno numbers. It is not accurate. Sparks has the greatest gains and the best MX powerband that I have seen so far.

·
Registered
85 Posts
How can they cheat on their dyno? You compare stock to modified. How difficult is that? Harry is one of the most thorough guys I have ever seen. I will get the dyno sheets for you guys.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'm holding off and waiting to see which pipe make sthe most low end power. We know the motor already has very strong midrange and much stronger top end once the muffler has been opened up. I want a pipe to give my YFZ more power where it can't be obtained elsewhere.

I'd be very interested in hearing from you guys who bought full aftermarket exhaust systems for your YFZ450s. I would be interested in knowing the outside diameter of the pipe taken at 5 different places on the pipe. I would also be interested in knowing the exact length of the pipe from the engine to where the muffler begins. To measure the length of a pipe you most likey will have to measure the length down each side of the pipe with a tape measure then averaging the results (to accomodate for bends in the pipe).

I've heard of pipes with a very slight taper was a technology being investigated on 4 strokes. If your pipe diameter increases gradually from the beginning to the end of the pipe, this could mean you have a tapered pipe. I expect tapered pipes are much more difficult to manufactur than pipes without a taper. I suspect this is why Graydon Proline makes a stepped pipe. Has anyone tried a Graydon pipe?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
One more question... is anyone here willing to admit they bought a pipe for their YFZ450 they didn't like?

A friend of mine bought an aftermarket pipe for his CR250R and couldn't find any dimensional differences compared with the OEM pipe. The materials were different, but we figured that pipe was basically a copy of the OEM pipe with chrome plating.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts