YFZ Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am in the market for a new exhaust system for my 450. I am planning to re-jet my carb as well. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good pipe that gives more low, mid range power?
Thanks alot
Mike W.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The HMF pipe adds tons of low to mid power too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was actually going to post on this topic..... I had my 1st good ride on the YFZ Friday and overall I was more than pleased. The only thing I miss about my old 416EX is the low end grunt. Most notably in the woods and areas where I used to just blip the throttle to lift the front end over logs and ditches. With the YFZ I bumped up the idle a couple of clicks which help the stalling situations but the bottom end seems just a little too weak to get over small obstacles as I am used. Do you guys think the addition of a full system like the HMF or sparks would give enough low end boost to get me where I want to be or should I also consider dropping the front sprocket down a tooth as well...... Any input or thoughts would be appreciated....... Currently running stock with lid on and baffle out with 42 pilot and I think a 160 main.....

Thanks
Triston

·
Registered
625 Posts
Tri,
Dont put a sparks pipe on if you are looking for low-end. They arent designed to boost bottom end. If you want a good grunt pipe go with the TC.
Isaac

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
its also gunna be hard to get the front end up cuz of the 50.4" wheelbase........... but that can be fixed w/ a pipe..... but ive only rode my friends YFZ and it had a sparks and i thought it had plenty of bottom end

·
Registered
625 Posts
First things First. Welcome back Trey! Glad you are doing better buddy!!! :)

Anywhos, it isnt that the Sparks doesnt give you more low-end than stock but the Sparks pipe isnt designed as a low-end pipe. The TC pipe on the other hand was designed by TC to give the quad more low to midrange power than anything out there. I am not MX'ing or woods racing my quad so that is why I am sticking with the Sparks.
Isaac

·
Registered
97 Posts
I totally agree with edgerat,
If you want max top and more mid and low I would go with the sparks. I raced the itp series at Glen Helen and no one could keep with me on the straights. In the corners however it was a differnent story. the power was there but I think that if you wanted to bring the wheels up in 2nd or third with instant low end not revving out, it is not the pipe for you. I get alot of speed shooting out of the corner but i don't think that I could grunt it as well as a tc piped yfz could. If you want to clear tables and get the holshot I would definitly go with the sparks. low end and cross country from what i have seen I think the tc would be the best choice. just don't cry if you see my fly by you wound out :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts