YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a set of cheap msr goggles and after 3 rides they are already scratched and unclear.
my friends says dont spend money on expensive goggles cuz they are gonna get scratched just as fast.

im thinking about shelling a little more for some spy's or smith's.

what do you guys think? is buying a more expensive set really worth it or am i just wasting my money?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
i guess the only other route to go so you wont have to keep replacing googles will be to get a pair that has the roll off films or the tear off's

·
Registered
773 Posts
I rode all season with (1) pair of ProGrip LS3400s. I take care of them and they've taken care of me. To be honest, I bought another pair for our Glamis trip and have still not needed them.

They are more expensive, but they fit/work great.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
i, myself, prefer SPY........ they are a great goggle..... i love them... their color schemes are [email protected]$$ also :rock

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I have only worn Spy, Oakley, Smith, and even Scott, Scott scrathed the easiet and fastest. The other goggles I have worn last a year or even two and do not scratch up that fast. I think spending a little more for name brand is worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I wear Oakley O-frames out in the Sand Dunes. They cost about 40.00 bucks but they are worth it. So far with these I haven't got any sand in my eyes, and the lenses hold up great. I have some scott's and Smith warp's (I think that is what they are?) and they suck compared to the oakley's in the sand. For tracks they're OK, but buy the oakley's. Also you can get the lenses for around 4.00 bucks, and replace them every so often. I run The tinted in the day, and clear or yellow's at night. ;)

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Originally posted by Merriman@Dec 1 2003, 05:40 PM
I wear Oakley O-frames out in the Sand Dunes. They cost about 40.00 bucks but they are worth it. So far with these I haven't got any sand in my eyes, and the lenses hold up great. I have some scott's and Smith warp's (I think that is what they are?) and they suck compared to the oakley's in the sand. For tracks they're OK, but buy the oakley's. Also you can get the lenses for around 4.00 bucks, and replace them every so often. I run The tinted in the day, and clear or yellow's at night. ;)
Yea I forgot I wore Oakleys once and loved them, then my bro dropped them in the garage and my dogs chewed them up.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I love my Smith Warps. I have owned three pairs of them and they always last a long time. My bro. has Oakleys and said that next time he buys goggles, he won't spend the extra money on the Oakleys because he liked the warps just as well. To answer your question though, yes, it is worth spending a little more money on goggles. Generally if you spend at least $25 they will be pretty decent in my experience.

·
Registered
983 Posts
FYI, the lenses are made out of lexan. Lexan in a dry state is very scratch resistant but when you get them wet with mud for instance, try not to whype it off. Lexan gets very soft when wet

·
Registered
417 Posts
Originally posted by Woody_YFZ@Dec 2 2003, 06:14 AM
I love my Smith Warps. I have owned three pairs of them and they always last a long time. My bro. has Oakleys and said that next time he buys goggles, he won't spend the extra money on the Oakleys because he liked the warps just as well.
Have you worn the Warps in the dunes or in dry/dusty areas before? That's my only complaint with them. Every time I wear them at the dunes, or an unwattered track, I get sand/dust inside of them constantly. I like the style of the Warps, but they don't seem to have thick enough foam.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'm surprised how few people seem to wear ProGrips. They're killer googles and hold like glue.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Originally posted by selector@Dec 2 2003, 06:21 PM
I'm surprised how few people seem to wear ProGrips. They're killer googles and hold like glue.
They're probably all cheap asses like me, and when they find the 1st pair that works really good, they stop buying goggles and just buy more lenses. Atleast that's why I haven't tried them. They were next on my list though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Originally posted by Merriman@Dec 1 2003, 02:40 PM
I have to agree with Merriman on the sand issue. It really depends on what type of riding or racing you are going to be doing. I've owned several pairs of each. I race Harescrambles and my preference is the Smith Warp Stars with the roll off system. There's simply not a better goggle for wet and muddy tracks. I will say however that I've noticed alot of dust getting into my eyes on dry and dusty tracks. I would also agree with Seatec about never wiping the lenses when they are wet. That's why I prefer the Roll off system by Smith. I would probably use Oakley in a dry or dusty track though, since they seem to have finer filtration foam. They are all lexan and they're all gonna scratch. It just depends on how you take care of them. When they're wet and muddy. Hose them off at home. Don't wipe them off at the track. Wrap them in a towel and wait until you get home.

Fred J.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i also had a problem with sand leaking in and getting in my eyes when i was in glamis...any goggles prevent this better than others?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Originally posted by selector@Dec 2 2003, 11:21 AM
I'm using progrips now since my oakleys dissapeared lol, and i dont think i'll use another kind of goggle i LOVE THEM :lol :rock

·
Registered
114 Posts
i use Spy's i beleive my model is Alloy....they are really awesome goggles, have wider vision compared to my old scotts, i bought them the day i bought my yfz (they are red sparkle to match my bike) which was about 4 months ago and they really are good goggles if you take care of them, they keep sand out and keep your face very cool in hot weather.
the only thing i can see wrong with them is a small scratch from when i got thrown off the front of my bike at the dunes and it smashed my face into the dirt, but the lenses are only like 10-15 brand new.....think the goggles were about 60 but the dealer gave em to me at cost since i bought the bike the same day.

Spy all the way~ i have used Scott and Vega or whatever that lame brand they sell at the KTM shops is both of which were trash and got scratched really easy and didnt have good vision or airflow.
the airflow on the spy's is superior to any goggle i have ever tried....

why keep spending 20 bucks a pop on lame scott goggles that scratch and break easy when you could spend 60 and have em for 5 times as long.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts