YFZ Central banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is mainly for laz. what are your sugestions for getting this quad gncc ready. I have a HMF pipe on the way. Me and Mike (fdo) have been talking about a few other things. I was just wondering your or anyones opinion on the topic.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
im obviously not laz, but ill voice in...a good set of 6 ply tires would be good. nerf bars and a killswitch keep it safer. i dont know how wide the yfz is stock offhand, but it seems wide. so, some offset rims to bring with width down would help as well. other than that, you seem to be set power and suspension wise

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I'm going to be setting mine up the same way also and would like to here laz's sugestions. A few things I'm going to do are dropping one tooth on the front sprocket, some sort of guard or relocating rear brake resevoir, better traction rear tires, bumper, and skids to start

·
Registered
27 Posts
this is mainly for laz. what are your sugestions for getting this quad gncc ready. I have a HMF pipe on the way. Me and Mike (fdo) have been talking about a few other things. I was just wondering your or anyones opinion on the topic.
No reason to mention the obvious since you have GNCC experiance so I will limit my reply to YFZ specific things. I raced the 3 hour BUCCS race by myself on Saturday. My son injured his wrist so went it alone - 3 hours give you a lot of time to pick the bike apart.

I can see the rear brake rezy needs addressed.
Rear shock needs revalved and resprung - Bike needs to be lower.
Needs new front shocks - also to lower bike but more imprtant is the plusher ride.
Needs new upper a-arm - Caster is off causing the bike to be twitchy.
Needs steering stops cut - will not turn tight enough.
Engine - needs piped and jetted - if you do the cam mod - you better have a stronger battery.
Needs a plastic skid plate with a plate welded to the front bumper to protect the front of the skid.

I had all of this done to my bike and a friend who is a lot faster then me and trains more rode a stock bike in the same race - No comparison - he could not keep up.

Please do not take this the wrong way - This bike is awesome but the things mentioned only make it better.

I took the 400ex that I have been racing at the GNCC races out for one lap in the midle of the race. Only thing That I liked better about it was the soft seat.

Both power and handling - the 400ex vs. the YFZ is like the XR400 vs. the CR450F.

LS

·
Registered
464 Posts
Why a plastic skid plate??
It hits rocks and other things and you seldom feel it. It does not catch on a hard hit like aluminum.

LS
Very true!!! I can hit stuff with my stock plastic Cannondale skid and hardly feel it where as with my PRM it tends to send the back end in the air when it hits!

·
Registered
27 Posts
does any one make plastic skids besides maier? Or would it be a home fab project
There is a company in Central Ohio that has been making them for me. I have them for the 400ex. They are coming to the shop on Thursday to get measurements for the YFZ. I will have one by the weekend.

LS

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do they make flywheel weights. I know they do for most bikes and if they do for this motor I would very interested in trying some out. I am coming from a very torquey motor that would not stall to the yfz.. i like racing low in the RPM's and I need anything that will help that.

M

·
0 Posts
someone mentioned rea brake resivor relocation.i race gncc and i thought it would be a good idea to move it.i bought about a foot of fuel line the same size as what is on there,and made a bracket out of allumnium,and mounted the res.up near the top rear shock mount.works great!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts