YFZ Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about two months ago me and my bike took a really nasty fall down a cliff :( but just now i got ALL the parts put on my bike and fired it up. suprisingly with a jump from my car it started right up! it ideled perfectly and sounded nice and strons. i looked down i noticed my header coming out of the engine untill about the point where it starts to curve was glowing red hot!!!!! like lava!!!! i turned the bike off and decided to put it away, now what should i do?? is that normal. i do live by the beach and its quite cold and dark so i dont know if that has anything to do with it? well has anyone had this happen, and what should i do about it??? thanks for any advice!!! :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
23 Posts
QUOTE (bsb rider @ Feb 19 2009, 06:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=748525
about two months ago me and my bike took a really nasty fall down a cliff :( but just now i got ALL the parts put on my bike and fired it up. suprisingly with a jump from my car it started right up! it ideled perfectly and sounded nice and strons. i looked down i noticed my header coming out of the engine untill about the point where it starts to curve was glowing red hot!!!!! like lava!!!! i turned the bike off and decided to put it away, now what should i do?? is that normal. i do live by the beach and its quite cold and dark so i dont know if that has anything to do with it? well has anyone had this happen, and what should i do about it??? thanks for any advice!!! :icon_biggrin:[/b]

I cant count to five before my header looks like the sun. My bike runs fine. Its normal. Could be running alittle on the rich, or lean side. Its all good!

·
dippy doodle
2,801 Posts
Ya my exhaust glows like that to. All aftermarket ones do, there thinner than stock that is why. Once I start riding mine it goes away. As long as your jetting is good I wouldn't worry about it. Try riding it and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (YFZRider69 @ Feb 19 2009, 06:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=748534
Ya my exhaust glows like that to. All aftermarket ones do, there thinner than stock that is why. Once I start riding mine it goes away. As long as your jetting is good I wouldn't worry about it. Try riding it and see if it goes away.[/b]

how do i know if my jetting is good??, and im gonna hop on my bike tommorw night and ride it around the nehiborhood to see if it goes away, if it doesnt what to you recomend??

·
Registered
550 Posts
CHECK THE SPARK PLUG!!!! (that will tell u if its lean or rich)
and ya dude the glowing is normal
ive never seen a YFZ that the pipe didnt glow

·
Registered
47 Posts
too rich won't cause egt's to light your pipe up! running lean creates a lot more heat on everything and besides running with no oil is the fastest way to burn something up

·
dippy doodle
2,801 Posts
Ride it and rip through all the gears a couple times and see how it feels. If it feels ok then everything is probably ok. After your done riding it turn it off with out letting it idle and check the plug, it should be a nice brown color. If it has any white to it then it's lean, if it is really black and a little wet than it is rich.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
my buddies bike did that ause it was way lean! my jetting is good and with the stock header mine has to sit and idel for quiete a while to do it like 10 mins or more!!!

·
dippy doodle
2,801 Posts
QUOTE (ATV24/7 @ Feb 20 2009, 06:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=748689
my buddies bike did that ause it was way lean! my jetting is good and with the stock header mine has to sit and idel for quiete a while to do it like 10 mins or more!!![/b]
It's not gonna glow with the stock header, the walls of the header are a lot thicker than a aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
QUOTE (YFZRider69 @ Feb 20 2009, 09:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=748896
It's not gonna glow with the stock header, the walls of the header are a lot thicker than a aftermarket exhaust.[/b]
yea it will lol like i said before, mine's done it since i drove er' off the showroom floor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts