YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my header pipe was glowing a lot brighter than I have seen before. I know on yfzs they tend to get pretty hot but this was crazy! Its a 2009 yfz450 Carb. When I went to go start it, it took me roughly 8 times to get it to stay running long enough for me to push it back to hop on and go... at first I was just thinking that since its Carb it just needs to warm up a bit. I took it out and just rode it fairly easy for about 5 mins pull it back in the garage and my header was glowing realllyyy bright red. Talked to a friend about it he said it could just possibly be running a little lean or needs re jetted... are there any other suggestions or ideas of what could be wrong.... help!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
The glowing head pipe is normal. As far as telling if your lean or not depends on the spark plug color. Without a list of your mods and current jets hard to be able to help you out.
Check out redneckbmxers pic in his sig it has a pretty good pic of a glowing head pipe

·
Registered
176 Posts
run run run its gunna blow up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but seriously riding melow is sometime worse then giving it a good ride yfz love air even though there water cooled i bet its fine and if your really worried about heat get a esr temp gauge does it pop on acceleration or deceleration? i bet it fine though i use mine to light my cigarette =)

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its all stock, I just recently in the past month bought it. I have an air intake for it new exhaust...re jetting kit, and ughh crap... forgot the technical name for it but when you hit the gas it takes out the stutter.... but I have not put any of it on yet... I know its normal to have the header pipe glow a little bit but this was pretty bad ill upload a pic...

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol Spidy I like your style with lighting your cig with the pipe! Yeah I would love to break my yfz out and go fast but one problem I live in town so I just took it out for a quick spin through my ditch/ yard then put her away before I got in trouble. Stuck up neighbors are jealous of my toy! Haha

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've taken it out a few times previous to this and haven't ever seen it glow until now. I think I justvneed to re jet it after getting the exhaust and everything on it and hopefully it will be good. Especially cuz were going to hit up little Sahara here soon!!

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not quite for sure right off the top of my head.... let me check into it and get back to you on it and let you know. Hopefully you will have the answers!

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm gonna be honest, its my first quad owning and I do not know what pilot I'm running, or even how to check it. I just went and turned it on to let it idle for a bit and went to go shut it off and I noticed it let out a little bit of backfire...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Do a search on jetting, there are some sticky threads that walk you through the process. Looks like your pic was taken in a dark garage or at night. That's when it will look its hottest, it won't look that bright in the daylight. Yfz's head pipe will glow, especially when idling.

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeahh SeniorTaco helped me out on some mods for it. All stock now so hopefully it will take care of it...especially the backfire when I shut it off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
this is my brand new 2019 yfz 450r 1st time instated it up. Letting it warm up while I got ready and it was like this. I read on line re jet it. This is efi.so no jetting . And it being brand new with 0hrs on it. Yea it is a 19 got it as a left over for.a good price.. fan and temp light did not come on either

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Wow. I’ve seen red headers but not the whole header pipe. These bikes come really lean from factory. Where are you from? Do you plan on any mods? Is so first mod should be a vortex ecu

1 - 20 of 28 Posts