YFZ Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been discussed before but I never payed much attention because I didn't have the glowing head pipe problem until I installed an FMF TI-4 exhaust and power bomb header. Now my head pipe really glows red when I ride hard. I did a search on this topic and I got a lot of conflicting answers. Some people said it was normal, some said it was caused by a lean condition. I was wondering if anyone had any new information on this. It makes me a little nervouse when it starts glowing. I haven't noticed a lean condition in my jetting. My jetting is a 175 main, 45 pilot, YZ needle on clip #4 and 1-3/4 turn on the fuel/air screw. My elevation is about 1000 feet.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I would not worry about it your jettin sounds to be in the ball park for sure and not off enough to hurt anything at all. Maybe step up to a 48 pilot to give her a little more fuel when ideling and upon start-up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
all of them do it, i worked at a yamaha dealership when the yz 400 bike came out,everyone brought them back,but is normal,it gets even worse looking when u have a titanium pipe, & run race gas.u think u could push a screwdriver right through it,

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a titanium pipe and I run race gas and the header looked like it was going to melt it was so red. I was a little nervous about it, that's why I started this thread. I new that the head pipes were suposed to glow but I didn't think it would glow this much. I think I'm going to play around with the jetting and see if it helps

·
Registered
100 Posts
mine glows like a mother i had a branch catch on fire a few days ago when i was riding cuz of it ....

·
Registered
107 Posts
My GYTR stainless header glows somethin fierce especially when I ride at night :eek

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
My stock one glows, I use it to lite my cigs on it.... It's also a great hand warmer on cold nights. The blisters on my legs I could do with out though...

·
Registered
253 Posts
mine glows too. last wk. at nite, 15 degrees, 45pilot, 165main, baffle out, lid off...was revving alot in neutrl. almost thought i could see in thru pipes sidewall....looked like fiery exhaust from top fueler at nite leaping in & out within the pipe...

kinda cool...but kinda not.

however, this is only at idle....riding it's dark looking (at nite ).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts