YFZ Central banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Havin' a real hard time choosing a new quad. I used to own a Honda 250r. Man, I loved the acceleration and stability that thing had. Sold it 10 years ago, 10 years! Well, I NEED a new quad. Was thinkin' KFX 400 but this new YFZ 450 sounds like it will have the acceleration and stability that I loved about my R. So, how does it compare to a 250r? Or will a KFX 400 satisfy me. $5000 and reverse on the 400 is pullin one way, speed, looks, handling on the YFZ is pullin the other way. $7000, ouch! I will probably end up gettin' the YFZ. I have heard that a YFZ pulls like a 2 stoke, some even joke, calling it a 3 stroke. I always thought 4 strokes were "dumpy" in there power and handling. Thank for any replies.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Yeah 2-strokes are dumpy. THats why windham CRF450 sometimes wins it over RC's CR250. Nah man, 4 strokes are stronk pulling hard charging machines my friend.
WHat i like about the thumper is that the power is everywhere on the BAND, more so than the ring-ding-ding anyway. You wont be dissapointed going with the YFZ450. it rox.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not ridden any of the new 4 strokes, and by pull I meant acceleration, knuckles turn white, eyes start to tear up, stomach gets left behind, a rush. No 4 stroke I have ever ridden ever gave me the same feeling a 2 stroke did. Again, i have yet to ride any of the new 4 strokes. My experience with 4 strokes have been 200sx, 300, 250x, 300ex, Warrior, and various utility machines...."DUMPY"...definitely. I know they had torque, but acceleration is dumpy! Before I get bashed, I have nothing against 4 strokes, I want a thumper, I just hope a KFX 400 or YFZ 450 have the power and handling characteristics of my old R. From what I've gathered, the YFZ is up to the task.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You will be dissapointed with the KFX in stock forum if that is what you are looking for. Go with the YFZ. I also had many 250R's and the YFZ in my opinion is a far better bike. Accelaration is close but loose the vibration from the 2 stroke and the peaky powerband and there you have a YFZ. It pulls from the bottom all the way to the Rev limiter.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I would try to ride both before you buy. If you buy a KFZ and get to ride a YFZ later on after you bought yoru new KFX, trust me you'll be PISSED becuase words can not describe how awesome the YFZ is.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I own a 88R with a 310 kit and all the other goodies.......and truly i prefer the YFZ. Ride one you will too :lol

:nono The KFX will only dissapoint you in the power department and you will soon be installing a larger motor kit like my friends have,,,,and still loose the the YFZ,,,,,its just better to start off with the YFZ :rock

·
Registered
921 Posts
the yfz is the way to go, powers up just like a 2 stroke except reliable i think my yfz goes beeter than my 89 r, did i say hold the ____

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep! YFZ it is then. Another thing I like about the YFZ is the weight and I can get a kickstart for it. I don't trust batteries. Do any of you have the kickstart option? If so, can you have electric start and kick as a backup, or only one or the other? Thanks.

·
Registered
333 Posts
a couple of these gibronis' have the kick start and are not willing to post much info about them... as i dont trust batteries much either... and want a kickstart myself...

also my bros 250r has same if not less acceleration as my YFZ and his 250r is heavily modified!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I miss my 88 loaded trz250r but I tell you I love my YFZ450 it handles and jumps and its not slugish at all ....it ticks my friends off with their R's ....burning all that race gas I just pull up to the pump top it off and ride and have the same if not better performance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I take it the YFZ is very stable then, right? Another thing I loved about my R was its stability. I used very little body english to get it sideways, compared to the quads listed above. And I never tipped it over. The YFZ sounds great and i can't wait to get one. Gonna go try to find some more video clips of it in action now. Thanks.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Originally posted by greatwhite@Oct 3 2003, 12:48 PM
I have not ridden any of the new 4 strokes, and by pull I meant acceleration, knuckles turn white, eyes start to tear up, stomach gets left behind, a rush. No 4 stroke I have ever ridden ever gave me the same feeling a 2 stroke did. Again, i have yet to ride any of the new 4 strokes. My experience with 4 strokes have been 200sx, 300, 250x, 300ex, Warrior, and various utility machines...."DUMPY"...definitely. I know they had torque, but acceleration is dumpy! Before I get bashed, I have nothing against 4 strokes, I want a thumper, I just hope a KFX 400 or YFZ 450 have the power and handling characteristics of my old R. From what I've gathered, the YFZ is up to the task.

OK GREAT WHITE!

Please go to this web site:

www.eskimo.com/~daddog/videos/

make sure you put the slash on the end, then you get all the videos

watch them all, see what you think, there is over 100,000 dollars of modded bikes that the stock 450 beat in all those videos

it is the best deal for the money you can get.

If you buy a YFZ450, buy a pipe, get a K&N Airfilter in the box for 99 bucks take the airlid off and jet it pilot 48, GYTR YZ450 dirtbike needle on clip#4 from the fat end, and mainjet 175 and rotate the exhaust cam 1 tooth CLOCKWISE to put it back to the dirtbike 450 specs, and HANG ON!

you will have to hang on like a 250r.

You have to ride it, it is a three stroke.

it has that mid kick like the two strokes.

My boy took it up to 77 MPH on soft sand with extreme scat trak haulers 8 paddles! and he said his goggles STUCK TO HIS FACE. That is fast for sand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks daddogrider, the more videos of the YFZ I see the more I want it. Sadly, I have to wait. $7000, man that is a lot of cash! Also, I keep reading about gears sticking. I would be so mad after spending that much only to have tranny problems. I hope by the time I get one the problem is fixed.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I own a KFX 400 and a YFZ. The 400 was a great machine until last weekend when we took them both to the dunes. Not even a comparison. The YFZ spanked it in every category. My wife even prefers the YFZ. It is one awesome bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts