YFZ Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only have my quad for about a month & don't know much about what mainenance should be done after each ride.

Each ride will only consist of a few hours (Maybe 5 hours) and i will always wash my quad & clean the air filter before putting it away. What sort of maintenance should i do before putting it away? oil/lube any parts? what sort of lube/oil? etc etc.

Like i said, i'm new to the quad riding & owning "family" so any and ALL pointers that will pro-long the life of my quad will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I asked the same question not too long ago, here's what I do to my bike.

- Oil and oil filter changed every 20 hours ( every weekend usually, Yamalube amsoil or royalpurple all same )
- Clean air filter after every ride ( Uni filter oil )
- Lube chain after every ride ( I use PJ1 Chain Lube or wd40 )
- Check/adjust chain tension after every ride
- Check fluid levels coolant, brake, oil
- Check bolts to make sure tight i.e. lug nuts, axle nuts, steering column, handle bar mounts etc etc
- Check tire pressure ( I run 6 lbs )
- Lube grease nipples on A-arms
- Fill it up with supreme gas

I might be forgetting something, but thats a start.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MooseLight, Thanks!

That's exactly what i wanted... i'm going to make a "log/list" of the maintenance done, hours ridden.

I'm going to make a sort of checklist so that i won't miss anything, and i'll know the dates i did it, how many hours i rode for during that last ride & that way i know my quad will be in the best shape possible.

If anybody has anymore suggestions, please chime in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
QUOTE (mooselight8 @ Feb 17 2009, 04:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747548
friday night, saturday night, sunday day run .. sometimes wednesday night
not all constant biking though, bike for a bit then stop for beer[/b]

Haha, good times. Done my fair share of poker runs. Just don't get hammered and have to ride 20-25 miles back to the house.. fun as hell but dangerous. ;) ps. watch the whoops.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Install a hour meter if you don't have one already. That way you aren't guessing on hours.

I change my oil ~7.5 hours. I use AMSOIL.

QUOTE (YFZ450Tacoma @ Feb 17 2009, 03:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747523
MooseLight, Thanks!

That's exactly what i wanted... i'm going to make a "log/list" of the maintenance done, hours ridden.

I'm going to make a sort of checklist so that i won't miss anything, and i'll know the dates i did it, how many hours i rode for during that last ride & that way i know my quad will be in the best shape possible.

If anybody has anymore suggestions, please chime in.[/b]
I use a composition book to log my information. With a date, I will log maintenance done, hours accumulated on a ride (or weekend if I got on a trip e.g. the dunes), and parts replaced (e.g. new chain, sprocket, or other part that wears). I don't log lubing the chain or checking tire pressure.

The other benefit is when you go to sell your ATV you can say hey here is a log of all the maintenance I did.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
VALVES!!!

Learn how to heck them! At least once every 20 hours!!! And if you have a little bit of mechanical knowledge you can adjust them yourself too. Not the hardest thing but can get a lil hairy if you drop a half-moon clipn into the motor. I did it once and now i dont take a chance, stuff every hole possible! lol took me about a half hour to get out

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
your oil can even be dirty after 7 hours, I change mine when it looks dirty and seems to work fine idk how many hours it would be maybe 20-25

1 - 12 of 12 Posts