YFZ Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best gearing to run with stock tire size (20-11-9 Rear 21-7-10 Front) for MAXIMUM top end ?

Been running 18-10-9 & 20-6-10 for MX but I did a GP and the guys with the taller tires and gearing had a big advantage in the straights.. Moving up in tire size, what gearing do I run to gain some more top end ?

If someone has a gearing chart that would be really good to have too.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody huh ?

·
Registered
614 Posts
15 in the front and like a 36 in the rear is as tall a gearing as you can go I think, you might can get a 16 on the front but I doubt it, not with a case saver any way.

·
Registered
550 Posts
i just changed the front 2 a 15 tooth and called it a day.
i like it i didnt loose much bottom end and gain a nice chunk up top!!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
15/38 with give you a ton of top end speed, a 12/38 will give you some stump pulling bottom end, but you tap out the top end fast. I just changed mine to 13/38 just to see how I will like it for hill climbing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys... I'm just lookin to pick up a few mph in the straights, I have a friend that was clocked at 82 down the asphalt straight at the next race. I wanna toast him this year

·
Registered
2,347 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
idk to what degree its accurate though. i traped in the 1/8 mile @ 74. somthing and i still felt i had more left(15/38 gearing)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that works great... I 2nd the pin.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I donno, I question that converters accuracy. It just assumes that the more that you rev the engine the faster you go. This isn't correct at all, there is always a peak power output before the engine reaches it max rev limit. The quad will lose power the higher it revs and eventually not gain any speed.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
RPM is all that matters, who cares if theres no power at 10600, the motor is still turning at 10600... and thus the wheels are going the corresponding speed.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
if you dont have the power then it wont turn that many rpms. so if its going that many rpms and everything is working correctly then that will tell you your speed

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
yeah, thjats what i mean. if you CAN GET to 10600, then thats correct.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
i 3rd the pin, very useful thingy-ma-bob.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts