YFZ Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a basically stock YFZ450. I would like to know what would be best front and rear sprockets for going up the face of sand mountain? Any advise would be greatly welcomed, thanks.

the only mod this quad is currently running is the gyt-r jet kit

:sonic

·
Registered
556 Posts
In the sand, I'd recommend a 15 tooth front, stock rear sprocket. I have one on mine, and it did AWESOME at Dumont this past weekend. All the gears are usable now, and it just seemed like all weekend I could find the perfect gear, instead of hunting back and forth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is going to be a dumb question but which one of the two is steaper mountain, dumont or sand mountian..

because I heard go up one tooth in the front will lower my bottom end torque but increase my top speed. and I need to make sure Im not going to sacrice the torque from my machine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
1 tooth on the front sprocket is equal to approx 3 teeth on the rear sprocket. Down in the front & up in the rear gives more low end & less top end (quicker but slower) &
vise vesa for up in the front & down in the rear :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
Originally posted by illegal_yfz@Mar 9 2004, 06:37 PM
this is going to be a dumb question but which one of the two is steaper mountain, dumont or sand mountian..

because I heard go up one tooth in the front will lower my bottom end torque but increase my top speed. and I need to make sure Im not going to sacrice the torque from my machine.

Don't forget, even with a good set of paddles, you are going to have a lot of wheelspin in the sand. Taller gearing will compensate for that.

My bike in the sand with a 15 tooth feels just like it does in the hard dirt with a 14 tooth. With my 14 tooth in the sand, the first two gears were almost useless. Now I can use them all again.

·
Registered
105 Posts
alright listen up.. if you want to drag race up sand hills leave it stock!!!!if your going to race mx 15f, stock rear.. I raced my friend with my stock quad with no end cap or air box lid and rejeted the carb to a 165.. in glamis and smoked him!!! i mean bad..and thats with no "paddles"..what he has done to his is gytr pipe rev box cam mod 15f sprocket paddles and full suspeshion....he races int. so it's not his riding skills .. it was my quad just went up faster with the stock gearing!!!and stock tires witch keep the rpm up the whole time!!!try it and see you will be amazed how well it works!!it just wont take off as fast ,but when you got your momentum going up you will see!!! oh by the way i got carbon fiber parts for sale on ebay check it out!!!or e-mail me if you want one [email protected] http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMESSE%3AIT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts