YFZ Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a search a few times but couldn't find a good answer. I am in the middle of rebuilding my yfz and I had a couple of questions. First, have any of you used a gasket kit like:

Gaskets

I know Cometic is a good gasket brand right? Would you supplement this with yamaha head gaskets? Would you just go through and buy all Yamaha gaskets. Does anyone have a good list of individual gaskets because all the OE sites require individual gaskets to be purchased and I couldn't find a Yamaha gasket set.

Also, I'm in need of a piston and jug. I am concerned w/ reliability so, I think that is going to rule anything crazy like a stroker or big bore setup. I was thinking about the following package (and of course getting a new cylinder):

GYTR High Comp Piston

Will you have to run race gas w/ this setup? I was thinking 13:1 is the limit on 93 octane...right?? Would a CP piston be higher quality?

Here is the progress:

I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have purchased a GYTR piston and ran it on 108 octane racing fuel, it ran better on race fuel than it did on pump gas. Also in one of Yamahas sport atv parts and accessories cataloges (believe it was the 08 edition cataloge) it says you need to run a minumum of 100 octane racing fuel with the piston. IMO I have had better luck using oem gaskets over any aftermarket gaskets. My oem gaskets never blew out or anything, but when I used moose or cometic I raplaced those more than I changed oil on my machine.

·
Registered
950 Posts
From what I understand the highest you can go on 93 octane pump gas is 12:5:1 , and if i were you id go with a CP. From what I've gathered CP's seem to work very well in the yfz.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts