YFZ Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:what i've notice slip on vs full... my question is: is the stock header pipe that restrictive? it almost looks as if it is made better than the after market ones... I'm really not sure... but how are the after market full systems better? And how are the after market headers able to give more power (meaning how they are made different)? :uhoh

(i'm new to performance mods for atv's)

i just can't tell the difference, i'm use to seeing the difference on car/truck headers.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:what

·
Registered
23 Posts
the difference in stock to aftermarket is a huge difference in weight and performance. I personally have installed a curtis sparks with made a huge difference after i put it on, it is a big difference in weight to. will tell u the specs in lil bit have to find the weight.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool.
i'd like to see a dyno of just the full exhausts, hmf vs. sparks

·
Registered
77 Posts
The difference between the stock and aftermarket headpipe is that some companies make the headpipe bigger, or make a stepped headpipe such as Yoshi, or a tapered headpipe like Sparks. Going to a larger size headpipe may give gains but more on the top of the rpm band. Stepped headpipes or headers have been around for like 30 some odd years. Depending on the length of each step and the ID of the pipe at each step there may be slight differences in HP, torque and range. A tapered headpipe like the Sparks is like a divergence cone or tapered header on a two stroke pipe. I feel they give the best all around power increase but I am not sure how far it's been tested. Negative waves through the tapered pipe pull from the cylinder. The question is how far can this technology go. The stock headpipe for most people seem to be enough. The motor will still make good power and not get sluggish on the very bottom. Good for MX. Most people seem to be more interested in the looks and sound of a pipe. So the aftermarket keeps everyone happy with that. How many people would buy an exaust that made the same or a little more all around power and be quieter than the rest but looked just as big and bulky as the stocker when you can get a carbon fiber or anodized one with all the noise?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx, good info... how is that power bomb one by the way?

·
Registered
125 Posts
i have the baldwin pipe and love it. i put the stock pipe back on one time just to see, rejetted and everything. man o man. i cant ride without that pipe. with the stock set up its nice but with the pipe and jet kit i can be going 3/4 throttle down a dirt road to the trail head and hit the gas and tug on the bars and boom i'm riding a perfect wheelie as far as i want to.... when i'm in the woods i can leave it in 3rd gear most of the time and be able to out pull anyhting i ride against out of a corner or down a straight and hill climbs, you can ride whatever hill you want and have the nuts for. the power difference is really really that big of a difference. it makes it pull much stonger on the bottum, hit harder in the mid and make you have to really hang on on the top range as it tries to spit you off and you knuckles turn white.. it is a complete pipe, header and silencer and it really makes a big difference. bigger then any other bike i have ever had even back in the three wheeler days of the 200x, 250r, etc. if you wanta haul a$$, get a pipe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts