YFZ Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy gave me this '06 because it wouldn't start. I've went through it to get it to this point. Here is a list of things I've done so you guys can tell me what I've missed or what to look for.

New:
Cam Chain
Tensioner
Battery
Plug
Cleaned Carb
Cam Mod
TORS looped TPS unhooked
Dirt Bike kill "button" as Starter Button

Here are the symptoms.
Has fuel, at least from the accelerator pump. (Should be enough to at least hit a bit right...)
Has fire when being towed and no throttle used. I looped the TORS and unhooked the TPS but have not checked to see if it is sparking when I give it gas.
Head Pipe gets hot when towing but still, it is not making any popping, backfiring, or any other exhaust note whatsoever.
Starter Solenoid clicks. Had a bad Starter Button as well so I used a 2 wire kill switch as my starter button with On/Off always on and Headlights on High.
I don't have headlights. At any time.
Temp light lights up when I hit the Starter Button.
Starter won't turn engine over even when jumped straight from Positive Terminal with a battery charger on it. I pulled the side gear off the starter and the starter starts slow and "accelerates". Isn't it supposed to be like an instant hit, to full speed?
The pipe was not getting hot before, so I pulled the Cams and rotated the crank one rotation. Since then the Head Pipe gets hot when towed.

Maybe a loose connection or something? The fuse in the solenoid is good. I'm not 100% sure on the wiring but it's getting fuel and fire so who knows.

Any help please? BTW I'm a lurker, I don't post much but I soak in any and all knowledge you guys give out, and write the rest down LOL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another question, when I went through the carb to check how the previous owner had it set up I found something strange. Maybe I'm doing something wrong... On the needle I pulled the top hat off to access it from the top of the slide.

Here's the deal,
The needle only has one slot (groove) for the E-Clip, not the 5 like everyone says, or like my 400EX had. Any ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Answered the second question already guys. I had thought about grabbing a NCVQ needle anyways, but I wanted to at least get it fired up first. I found a post where the guy said his had the "non adjustable" needle. Thanks for the help HAHA.

I really do need some advice on the starting issue though, I've got other projects to get back to and in a hurry lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got a buddy bringin his bike out today for me to compare wiring and such. He said his battery was dead last week and it wouldn't do anything even when pulling it. So the battery's on charge and we'll go from there.

Thanks for the help... :icon_frown:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep 7.2 criss crossed and no I haven't checked the clearances. I just need to know it's hittin or something... I've got a loose connection on the Neutral Safety Wire, thinking about grounding it since I'm having to start it in gear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thing, my oil tank keeps over flowing and dumping oil into the cam cover area. I pulled the lower line to clean the screen and it was impressively clean, no trash whatsoever. Can I blow air into the lower line into the case and see what that does?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I swapped parts today, or at least a few. The CDI, the two boxes next to it, and the rectifier or whatever on the right front by the fan. I put my parts on his bike and it ran with everything. I swapped everything one piece at a time. I've gotta fix the oiling issue before I can fire it anyways but the battery is charged so when I diagnose the oiling I'll see if the battery helps.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Im going through the same problem, when I try to start it, the solenoid clicks and the temp light comes on but nothing. I thought maybe it was the battery, but no joy. Im probably gonna have to replace the solenoid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going kicker anyways so I haven't worried much about the EStart part of it. It just isn't doing anything even when being pull started.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts