YFZ Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hear alot of people saying they have 15 tooth front sprockets but i heard that every thooth on the front is like adding 3 teeth to the rear isnt that alot or does it work real good with a 15 or should i get a 14? :yfz

·
Registered
333 Posts
you got it backwards dude... taking teeth away in the front it like adding teeth in the back...

more teeth in front= more top speed/slower take off

less teeth in front = faster take off/ slower top speed

more teeth in back= same as less teeth in front

less teeth in back= same as more teeth in front.

the difference is changing a front sprocket is usally easier and cost less... cause usally you can keep stock chain... if you change the back sometimes you gotta get a longer/shorter chain... ive heard that it is better for the tranny if you change the back... but ive changed the front on my R6 streetbike and have 10000 miles with no problems... and hella wheelies!

·
Registered
983 Posts
i'd like to add to that precise and elequent piece of text that changing the rear sprocket gives you more fine tuning the final drive ratio. changing the front is crude to changing the rear.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Originally posted by [email protected]$$yfz@Oct 2 2003, 12:00 AM
i hear alot of people saying they have 15 tooth front sprockets but i heard that every thooth on the front is like adding 3 teeth to the rear isnt that alot or does it work real good with a 15 or should i get a 14? :yfz
dude why woul you want a 14t front, thats what you already have on it.....

·
Registered
229 Posts
if you think it's fast now but the 15t on. me and my buddy both have yfz's with same mods done to them, we were dead even when i was runnin the stock 14t now with the 15t i beat him by a quad or two at the drags.

I DONT RIDE FAST I JUST FLY LOW! :rock

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the stock setup has more then enough accel, if i put the 15t will it make it lag or will u not be able to tell? im just tring to get as much speed out of it with out sacrificing accel for dragging

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
fast youre gonna notice some reduction in low end acceleration with a 15t front.
for crying out loud....it takes 20 minutes to change the sprocket, and the part is less than $20.
buy one, change it, ride it. if you dont like it change it back...........im a genious!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
If your racing motocross like me you definetly need a 15t sprocket cause with some mods and 18" tires you run out of gearing too fast. If you have anymods go with the bigger sprocket it will make a big difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts