YFZ Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got the new 09 and i want to know if fox is over rated or its as good as everyone says or do u think spring is the way??

so what u think is the best out of all brands im thinking pep??

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
In my opinion (which is all you'll get, opinions) Fox is the best available right now. They have a rediculous amount of adjustment, don't take FOREVER to get a set like PEP does, and are as cheap or cheaper (depending on where you get them and what kind of deal you get) than any other top name shock.

I have Fox and I love them! They were a lot better than the TCS I had, and the Axis that were on my hybrid.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok well i hear pep is really good and i dont care about time just want the best.

but i got talked into fox and i just feel like they dont have as much travel as spring? like they dnt absorb?

and r they hella complicated to set up?

·
Registered
775 Posts
+2 for the evols i havent gottn 2 ridden mine but i get to do all the adjustments to them myself so when i want to set the weight heavier i can do it by just adding air. i was speaking with jeff from houser racing yesterday and he said he thinks the evols are the best available but he also said that harold goodman didnt like them due to the fact they had bad body roll jeff said you will get this when u ride extremely fast (could b the way they were setup but i dont kno) but jeff said he owns evols and would recommend them to any amateur rider due to the adjustability and the price

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
FOX Evols.....

IMO FOX Evols are gonna be REAL hard to beat right now. I've never ran PEP before, but will say rigfht off the bat that price wise, the FOX will be hard to beat plus you get just as much if not more in adjustability. I can garuantee that the FOX will be lighter in weight and it'll take half as long to get them that the PEP's would. You can also approach the FOX trailer at any National and ask them about Tech and set-up advice and they'll be willing to help...in other words they follow through with R&D even after the shocks have left their wherehouse.

Once dialed in right, they handle like riding on a cloud especially when you've got a good rear shock dialed in. Goodman might not have liked them because of body roll, but there's different ways to try and correct that like the low speeed compression that Gtilley mentioned or maybe even stiffin up the bottom out Evol chamber.

Almost everybody that Podiumed this last season was running FOX also.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
QUOTE (CADWELL @ Feb 14 2009, 05:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=746490
You can also approach the FOX trailer at any National and ask them about Tech and set-up advice and they'll be willing to help...in other words they follow through with R&D even after the shocks have left their wherehouse.[/b]
Which reminds me........

I got mine from Norris Quinn at Quinn Motorsports. If you buy your Fox from him and you see him at a race, he will help you dial them in and get them just right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im gonna say PEP is the way to go. I havent ever got to ride on a set of floats but I love my PEPs. Give SF Racing a call 309-208-4877 and talk to seth. He well hook you up and be able to set them up for you. And you wont find better customer serivce. Just my opinion

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everone one last question to those who said fox.

when i push down on my elkas they go down real far and i can pull them up real far i dnt see fox doing that when i push down. is it cuz my suspneison i set up for a light rider and theres isnt.

i love my elka and i k know pep will b better so im????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
136 Posts
Go with PEPs they are way easy to adjust. And you dont have to monkey with a air pump or anything. JMO

I think the #1 company to go to for PEP would be Baldwin Motorsports. He probably builds more sets than Wayne does at PEP.

And also Seth at SFracing is another great company to get PEPs from.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya im probably going to seth.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Wayne @ P.E.P designed the float evol for Fox,that should tell you how good they both are! I personally prefer the floats super smoothe ride over the rough stuff.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
You push down on my fox and it hardly goes anywhere cuz you weigh 2 pounds greg HA

FOX FTW

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I just had this discussion with another Central member via a PM. Fox Evols are an excellent shock but let me tell you what has been happening in my area with them. I live and race between 1500-8000' above sea level. I live at 5280' above sea level. With the changes in air density in changing elevation, along with temperature changes along with the elevation changes, you have to constantly recheck the pressure, sometimes between motos. (ex morning moto is 65 degrees, and air is dense, afternoon moto is 100 degrees and less dense, meaning suspension is softer, ) If you do not mind this added task, then it is not a problem, but it is something you do not have to concern yourself with a traditional spring set up.

I can set up my suspension at my house for an arenacross race, and make a click or two adjustment when I travel cross country to a race at 1500'. My buddies will have their Fox Evols set at our altitude and be busy chasing air pressure adjustments and breaking out the air pump, scrambling when they get to a race. This maybe an isolated condition and not relevant to you or your riding, but I thought it was an important issue that most people do not discuss. I would be curious from the technical aspect to know if you could replace the air with nitrogen, and have a nitrogen pump on hand. Nitrogen is less prone to temperature and elevation fluctuations from what I understand, but a chemist I am not....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts