YFZ Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i finally had all of my parts in hand to tackle my major upgrade.

I'm running new trailtech HID's for light source since i run in the desert and it's hard to see with the stockers. had to make some other improvements to make it possible running 4 lights especially with the mr16's down in the stock position.

swapping out the stator for a rewound one is a piece of cake, but make sure you have torq drivers. think it was a size t-25 to remove the two bolts on the stator. The flywheel is a bit more of a challenge. the locknut on the flywheel is on there, but just use a good wrench to stabilize the flywheel and a breaker bar and 17mm to remove the nut. two sets of hands comes in handy. there are 6 M6 allen bolts to remove to get the starter clutch off of the stocker and to move it to the new one. I managed to strip one bolt since they are on so tight and the normal l-shaped allens don't quite reach. HINT ( a good set of t handle allens would do the trick) I had to put the other 5 bolts back in and just use it for now until i can get another set of bolts and starter clutch or at least the bolts and drill that one out.

Kicker assembly and all of the new clutch baskets/pressure plates and inner hub going in tomorrow morning :) hope i don't run into any more snags.

will post pics once finally finished.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I too have the flywheel in hand and need to get it installed.

Did you go with the +4 or -4? I went with the -4 for duning and hillshooting.

Did you use a flyheel puller to get it off or what?

Did you get the stator from TT also?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i went with a +4 for desert running. i really wanted the -4 but have found myself in some really rocky stuff at low rpms and don't want it to stall. worse case scenario i will order another one.

i used a flywheel puller to get it off. order one from bob, i got mine from him. i thought the thing was going to break before it came lose.........it's tight. requires a 17mm allen and a breaker bar for the retaining nut and i can't remember what size the piece on the flywheel was you need to hold. instructions say to hold the rear tires.......but that didn't work nor did an air impact. just stick the right wrench on the slot allocated behind teh retaining nut and you'll get that part off.

Yes, i bought the stator from TT also. I'm going to finish the light install today. needed to push as much juice as i could running 4 hid's. They charged 200, but 80 of that was a core charge so i'm shipping my core back. 120 isn't to bad.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
No $120 for tha stator is not bad at all. BTW how much did Bob charge for the puller? Do you think I could get it off without it? I don't think so but it don't hurt to ask.

Thanks

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't really remember what he charged me for the puller. i don't think there is really any way possible to get it off without it. I wouldn't even try. i had a breaker bar on the retainer nut and a huge wrench on the flywheel itself to hold it (other wise the rear tires spin) and it took all i had to break it loose. once loose though it's easy.

trailtech sells the flywheel pullers too, but they were out of stock when i ordered all of my lights. now i just have to figure out all of the wiring. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts