YFZ Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I am a new member with a little over 2 years of experience on my yfz. I have been riding quads for around 8 years. I have always checked this site out when I was in need of a pointer, but now I need some help, so thank you in advance.

I was out riding and broke the back end lose cause I was on a dirt road and it was flat and straight, slick too apparently. So it broke, and went straight for the side of the road, there was an embankment, and I straightened it out, but side swiped the embankment. During the process the right wheel hooked in and the machine and I went flying, err flipping. I have replaced the tie rod and lower a-arm from the right side (they were obvious, from the damage). Everything else looks straight, except for maybe the handle bars (it landed on the bars and seat/fenders/grab bar). I was trying to put it back together, and it seems as if the steering stem has rotated. Where the tie rods meet with the stem seems ok and when it is aligned with the wheels, almost perfectly straight the stem is pretty cockeyed. When the stem is straight, (bar mount) the wheels are both pointing too far to the right, the right one more so. Any help would be appreciated. The fender support on the back left is bent closer to the ground too.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
i heard there was some kind of spline on the steering stem

and as for the fender mounts: take a screw driver and bend them back up, and take a heat gun and warm up the plastics, keyword WARM!, and carefully bend the plastic back up

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (YFZER359 @ Feb 9 2009, 11:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=744503
i heard there was some kind of spline on the steering stem

and as for the fender mounts: take a screw driver and bend them back up, and take a heat gun and warm up the plastics, keyword WARM!, and carefully bend the plastic back up[/b]

I have torn it down and taken the stem to the dealer, they thought it was straight. It looks straight to me and my brother and when we try to put the stem back into the part that connects the two tie rods and the stem it only fits one way. I'm pretty sure we replicated the measurements from the broken tie rod in terms of the ball joints and locknuts. I'm not too technical, but I like to do things myself. LSR is in my backyard and I'm thinking it might be best to just have the pro's do it, money well spent.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The stem doesn't go in just one way. There's splines on the end of the stem that go into the steering flag. My guess is when you put the stem back in, you were off one or two teeth. Take the stem back out, make sure the tires are straight, then put in the stem straight. If you can't get it just right, fine tune with the tie rod adjustment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.