YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a topic not too long ago about the cascade thumb throttle lever being back to far away from the handle bars which actually made the cramping in the thumb worse.

There is no way of adjusting the throttle lever closer to the hand grip inside of the throttle housing because it is keyed on the cable bracket inside. Any of you that have taken apart your throttle housing know what I am talking about.

This is my idea....Press the steel shaft out of the aluminum thumb lever and re-align it to where I need it to be. If it does not press back in like I think it will then I will just drill a tiny hole in it and bolt it back together.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i have fixed my throttle problem with taking out a round of the spring in the carb, this makes it perfect and very smooth,i wouldnt reccomend taking apart the carb,unless u have had lots of expierence with this sort of thing.u have to take the carb off, take out the right side, that is where the cable hooks up, take out the pully,& spring i have bent the spring to make it softer,but found cutting a round out workd just as good.(keep in mind u cannot order just the spring if u mess it up)when u put the spring back in line up the tabs, everything elese should go back like it was, there is no way in the throttle itself to get more leverage, the only thing is 2 take the spring out. if anyone wants this done i can do it for them

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finished moving the cascade thumb throttle assymbly tonight. Seems like it is going to work perfectly. I agree with you about the leverage if you are using the stock thumb throttle but the cascade is twice as long which would give you more leverage and make the pull easier. I will get some pics up in a little bit.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To make a long story short. Yes.

Before I changed it to the after picture, it was worse than the stocker because of the reach. Now it is a natural reach and the pull on it is so much easier.

I might re-install the stocker just to get a reading between the too. My seat of the pants guess is if the stocker is a 1 pound pull then this setup would be .5 pounds.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is what I did.

I took a 16mm deep well socket and slid it over the shaft end of the throttle assymbley to protect the threads.

Then I put the socket on something solid and used a 1/4 inch extension and hammered the shaft out of the thumb throttle lever.

I then remounted the shaft on my YFZ and marked where I wanted my thumb throttle lever. Making sure that wide open throttle would not be too far back.

I then took the shaft back out lined up the marks and used a 12mm deep well socket to hammer it back together.

Warning: You only want to do this once. The splines on the steel shaft are used to cut into the aluminum when they are pressed together. The more you do it the more reemed out the aluminum gets.

I dont know why someone does not have some sort of a clamp or screw so that you can adjust this.

This is by far the best ergonomic modification that I have made so far.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hey Thumper, nice work.. I like where it ended up much better then the standard location. You can still get to full throttle OK from there I imagian...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did tou had to hammer it really hard ?
I 've just tried, and it's not successfull ! but I have to say that I've made this thing come to france and that it cost me 100$ so I don't want to break it, but I would be very glad to end with the same setup as your's.
So did you hammered it really hard to make it come out ? Mine has mark of the piece I use to hammer with , but it still hasn't moved. I have a 3 hours race in three weeks and would be glad to achieve this mod !

Thank's for your response and help

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have to wack it pretty hard to get them to seperate. I hit it about 5 or 6 times pretty hard before it even started to come out.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Is there anyway you can post pics of you simulating the hit with the sockets... I'm having a hard time understanding how you used sockets (and why you changed socket sizes to put it back together) to accomplish this. I was on the verge of using a vise to bend mine further in but I'd rather not bend it if I can re-align the lever on the post.

·
Registered
82 Posts
How much further do you have to push it to get to WOT with that throttle? While extending the lever will definitely make iot easier to push, it will obviously also result in having to move it over a greater distance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
YESSSSSSS !!!!!
That's done : I now have the entire thing set as I wanted it to : on long lever easy to push and not too far from the handle bars

THANK YOU THUMPER 450 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the others : yes you have to haller it pretty hard to get it out, and yes it's worth it !

Don't be afraid and try, it's only pleasure after !!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ndhennin.
Cool, glad you got yours squared away. It is a ton easier on your thumb isnt it.

You use different sized sockets because you need to put pressure in a different place to remove and re-install. I will try to draw something up so you can see what I am talking about. Maybe ndhennin can explain better in words.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Here is the best description I can give. The 12mm socket pushes the shaft back into the thumb throttle lever.

The 16mm socket supports the thumb throttle lever while you hammer the shaft out.

The sockets are not on at the same time one is used to remove the other to install back together.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts