YFZ Central banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it finally happened. A valve let go.
The head isn't salvageable. Sucks because i really liked this combo and knew how to ride it.
New head is at different builders shop. Im sure I'll be just as, if not happier with the new head.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Man that sucks. You’ve got a lot of money into that motor. Do those iridium plugs get the same gap as a standard plug?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man that sucks. You’ve got a lot of money into that motor. Do those iridium plugs get the same gap as a standard plug?
Ive always done box gap honestly. As long as it isnt huge or to small I run it. Never given me an issue

·
Registered
173 Posts
That sucks!!!

Give me a # for the shee and Ull have funds for ur motor.
Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh damnnn. MUCHO DINERO.
I got my money worth out of this engine.
And I've been slowly gathering parts for a new engine. It's a when not if these motors a going to let go. 95% of the time it's catastrophic.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sucks. Sorry about the value drop and banged up head. Could you tell what caused the valve drop Broken tip or worn keeper groove?

I am in the middle of a top end rebuild with my son. Do you recommend new valve springs? Are they a known problem?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sucks. Sorry about the value drop and banged up head. Could you tell what caused the valve drop Broken tip or worn keeper groove?

I am in the middle of a top end rebuild with my son. Do you recommend new valve springs? Are they a known problem?
Nope. I have a guy. The keepers and speong and everything were in place. The shim was cracked. So the head popped for some reason. It was at idle. But not sure if the cracked shim was before or after.
I replace everything all at once. Nothing is being reused.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well sent a head to malaska. He gave me a core charge and a different head.
So for anyone wondering what a port and valve job goes for.
+1 valves all around porting and all parts minus cams.
I need to call web and get some.
Yes there are cheaper options. Could've went stainless valves and a less extensive port.
This is probably the best job an average person could get from a top builder.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Damn that’s pricey, but will be really nice once you get it back. Quality isn’t cheap, hope you get it back soon so you can get back out there and ride!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn that’s pricey, but will be really nice once you get it back. Quality isn’t cheap, hope you get it back soon so you can get back out there and ride!

No, when i went to malaska for the dyno i saw his shop and and was there for 4 hours. He strictly has my business. What he does and knows is absolutely beyond what I could have imagined. Also how many shops and people that turn to him is insane
But I've been riding the dirtbike a lot and got really comfortable on it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'll pay for quality any day over the walk of shame out of the woods off the track

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'll pay for quality any day over the walk of shame out of the woods off the track

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All back and ready. Had to pull the old throttle body as we couldn't get a clean idle.
Threw a new one and gt thunder adjuster on. There were some wear marks that I think was causing an air leak giving me a high idle.
Gotta set the tps and play with the tune.
90 and humid wasn't really working out to well for testing.
I have a massive pile of old parts. It's getting insane

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good deal! Know what you mean on the spares...i could probably put together 2 other quads with the stuff I've got stashed away. Never know what those tracks are gonna throw at you. Glad she's back together.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This motor absolutely RIPS. I thought it was good before, the power up the face this thing makes is ungodly.
Found myself panic braking more than I'd like to admit.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Well sent a head to malaska. He gave me a core charge and a different head.
So for anyone wondering what a port and valve job goes for.
+1 valves all around porting and all parts minus cams.
I need to call web and get some.
Yes there are cheaper options. Could've went stainless valves and a less extensive port.
This is probably the best job an average person could get from a top builder.

I love my malaska head :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
All back and ready. Had to pull the old throttle body as we couldn't get a clean idle.
Threw a new one and gt thunder adjuster on. There were some wear marks that I think was causing an air leak giving me a high idle.
Gotta set the tps and play with the tune.
90 and humid wasn't really working out to well for testing.
I have a massive pile of old parts. It's getting insane

Rob you wouldn’t be interested in parting with a couple of those cranks would you?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This thing F'in rips!!
For sure WAY more engine than I'll ever need.
Anyone thinking of going for a power build that isn't racing drags or sand dunes, highly highly weight out want vs need.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts