YFZ Central banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally after just over a year of saving up some cash I feel like I can now afford a new toy. Obviously this is a YFZ site and I expect some biased opinions but, overall this should be the best place for feedback. Okay I am fairly sure I want a sport quad (YFZ). I am not into racing even though I enjoy watching the events on TV. I simply want it for trail riding with a few of my buddies. They have sport quads that leave my old raggity Kawasaki 220 Bayou in the dust. But atleast I can still go out. I have never ridden a YFZ and don't know anyone who has one that will let me test one out. Dealerships all say the same thing "the last guy I let ride one of my quads flipped it in the parking lot and refused to pay for the damages and tried to sue us". So the only ATV's I have had access to are the one's my friends have a Raptor, 300 ex, 400 ex a 500 scrambler, and a couple of 500 sportsmen. So here is my opinion on what i have rode and what i thought. Also here is where I need the priceless opinions of fellow riders.

Raptor is very fast, I like it on flat ground but, on hills it feels like i am gonna flip it before i reach the top. I have to hold the front brakes and ease my way back down. I am probably the only one who feels this way. Great Machine to jump smaller hills with. The suspension does a good job soaking up the impact. 8|

400 ex i like how it climbs but, on flat ground it has very little get up and go. It may just be my friends machine is just beat. It is a little old and worn. Suspension is not very plush like the raptors. So jumping with it can be a little rough on landings :re

300 ex Nice bike for starting out with with but, i want something a little meaner. :evilgrin

500 Scrabbler is fairly fast but, not as fast as the other 2. Plus it is huge and heavy can't really throw it around. :disgust

Does the YFZ feel really tipsy on the hills like the raptor or is it a totally different feel. Better or worse than the 400 ex
I know the speed and jumping will not be a concern. How about reliability and maintenience of the YFZ. I am not much of a mechanic so any work will have to go threw a dealer. Except for oil changes and very minor stuff.

The utility quads are okay for mudding and pulling stuff. Great hill climbers and decent speed for size and weight.

I am not ruling out the possibility of a utility but, I haven't ridden any of those "Big Bore" machines either. So any posts on those would also be appriecated.

I understand this topic gets beat to death on these forums
so any and all feedback will be very helpful thanks for your time in advance.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Take the best qualites from all those quads and multiply them by 10, and that is a YFZ. You will not be dissapointed. Seriously though, I'd ride stuff and see what you ar emost comfy with. But the YFZ is a nice quad.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have to agree....I have owned 400ex, Cannondale Speed, etc and this YFZ has the handling of the 400ex...power of the Raptor...plus some...and feels very, very light. The YFZ felt surprisingly stable and "wider" than it actually is as far as the stable feeling. It inspires a lot of confidence.....you'll be happy..........JIM

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
i had a Z400, which is better than the 400ex and the raptor and it does not even come close to comparing to the YFZ...... YFZ is best quad on the market period..... just my .02........ BTW, :red

·
Registered
170 Posts
Faster than a Raptor.....More powerful than a 400ex, ( much! ),.....able to leap tall buildings with a light blip of the throttle :lol

All kidding aside. The YFZ 450 is amazing. If you like sport quads, I can't see how you could possibly be disappointed. You'd have to dump a TON of money into the other quads you mentioned to bring them up to the level of a stock YFZ. Do a rejet , take out the baffle, remove the airbox lid, and you'll be even MORE amazed!!!

Yes , SUPER stable. As far as reliabilty... figure the motor has been around awhile in the dirt bike. Gotta figure they got the bugs worked out by now. Haven't heard of any "blanket" problems yet.

Drawbacks....hard seat ( you'll get used to it ). The only other thing I could honestly think of is that the suspension is stiffer than the other machines you listed. If you're looking for that super soft ride, you won't find it on a YFZ. It does get a little softer once you get some hours on it. Most people who get it are looking for a performance suspension. Hope this helps a bit. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Oh yeah..Let us know where you're from. Maybe one of us could arrange a test ride for you. If you're anywhere near Baltimore ,MD I'd be more than happy to let you give mine a spin!

·
Registered
46 Posts
The YFZ is the way to go. I have had a knee replaced and a hip replaced and its the most comfortable easy quad to ridde. It doesn't bug my fake parts at all. Definitely the quad to get!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've got both the Raptor, and the YFZ, and I can tell you, getting back on my YFZ is like taking off a pair of high heels and putting running shoes back on. (not that I've worn high heels...;) )

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by LateApex@Jan 10 2004, 05:49 AM
I've got both the Raptor, and the YFZ, and I can tell you, getting back on my YFZ is like taking off a pair of high heels and putting running shoes back on. (not that I've worn high heels...;) )
lets put that into guy terms shall we :lol :blah :red

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses so far. By the way RTSE440 I live in Laurel, Indiana near Haspin Acres. That is a very generous offer. I would feel kinda weird asking a stranger let me test ride there machine.

By the way LateApex do you find that the front end of the YFZ stays down on the ground better than that of your Raptor. :what

I downloaded the woods video in that section of the site it the front seems to hug the ground better than that of the Raptor.

Thanks again all!!! :rock

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have had over 18 ATVs since 1976(ATC90)...yammis, hondas, zukis, even an odyssey(sp?)

I have never had a real probem with any of them...other than operator error.

The YFZ drags, turns, jumps and climbs better than any other quad I have ever owned. The only other quad that I felt as comfortable on was a 1989 Honda TRX250r...but they are way down on power compared to an uncorked yfz.

ride one...but be cool if it is piped and jetted right...it will definitely throw your azz off if you dump the clutch. Respect this quad and it will reward you with the greatest factor in owning a quad....

THE GRIN FACTOR! Some refer to the YFZ as the GRIN MACHINE...makes sense to me!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Originally posted by Random Hero@Jan 9 2004, 11:02 PM
By the way LateApex do you find that the front end of the YFZ stays down on the ground better than that of your Raptor. :what
I don't know... I haven't really ridden the Raptor aggressively yet. Hers is bone stock, where as my YFZ has had some things done to it. (baffle out, jetted, cam mod airbox lid off). I can wheelie pretty much on demand on the YFZ. Just lean back a bit and stab the throttle... I haven't tried that on the Raptor yet. I've also only ridden at Dumont, in the sand, so take that into account too. My opinions are only based on initial "feel" of riding both.

On long rides, my a$$ definitely prefers the Raptor's seat.

I messed with my shock settings before our first trip out on them, and I went the wrong way on the rebound, so my YFZ didn't feel so great. It's been fixed now, but I haven't ridden it yet.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these bikes. The Raptor seems to be a capable machine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts