YFZ Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question yfz450 wit a hmf full systemand jetting and airbox lid off against a yz125 dirtbike wit full sytem fmf. :woo

·
Registered
325 Posts
I dragged my YZ250F, which was stock at the time, against my YFZ with only an HMF full system- lid on, stock filter, no cam mod. I weigh in at about 135, and I was on the bike. My brother weighs about 100, and was on the YFZ. We were almost dead even, with the bike maybe having a slight edge. This could be becuase I got better starts, or I'm a better rider. A YFZ should handle any 125.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey zrida i was just woundering cause i am getting my hmf pipe and from your oppinion is it any good thanks

Tom

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
you should smoke the YZ250F on the YFZ. i have many times

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I race my buddy on a YZ450F all the time, both stock except I have rejetted , and we are pretty even.

He can take me over choopy terrain or tight turning, but we are pretty comparable riders on our seperate platforms.

I also race another bu on an RM250 and that has a little more with the pipe and jetting he has than the YZ450F, or the YFZ. Again, we are comparable riders.

You should be able to smoke a YZ125.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just a reply to the previous post and not meaning to ruffle your feathers offroadace, but my riding buddy has a YZ450f dirtbike bone stock and he eats me by 3-4 bike lengths every time we drag. I have been on quads and dirtbikes of all sorts for twelve years. My list of YFZ mods are as follows.....DMC full exhaust system, ESR intake (K&N), cam mod and yes my jetting is close to perfect. I run stock tires and gearing, weigh in at 170lbs, my buddy weighs probably a buck sixty. Mike's an experienced rider although I always get him off the start for about 30ft or so because he is scared of looping out. I have ridden his YFZ (dirtbike) and let me tell you for anyone who hasn't ever thrown a leg over one it Frickin' hauls :O . I would not even look at him sideways with a stock YFZ. A dirtbike of equal horsepower and displacement will in my experience always rock a quad in a drag provided the riders skill and ability are close. Weight and contact patch (rolling resistance) are the quads disadvantage. with my list of mods I guesstimate my HP to be somewhere near high 40's or 50. A stock YZ dirtbike reaches those HP #'s STOCK!!. I recently posted on this same subject because I really want to beat that YZ badly. I am currently looking in to a Boondockers stealth nitrous system in hopes of doing just that. Offroadace I want to clarify again that this post just reflects my opinion and experiences and is not an attack of your credibility. If you have any secrets or Mods I have not done that could get me closer to his rear tire please let me know. :) I have also dragged a stock CRF450 and was only 2-3 bike lengths behind the entire race. The rider actually came to our camp afterwards just to ask me about my YFZ. I enjoy drag racing in general just for fun, but it's great to race the bikes and win a little respect. We all know the general attitude of dirtbikers towards quads......." lawn tractors", and the YFZ quad is finally getting us some deserved respect. If anyone else on YFZ central has any drag stories to tell get em up here :blah .................sorry for the long winded post :zzz

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yfz450td I would be putting my money on you to win your drag against that 125. Ensure your tires are at full pressure, start in second gear leaning forward to keep your front end down, then shifting your weight over the rear tires as you get moving and gain traction. Make sure to keep the motor in the meat of the powerband and not bounce off the limiter. And when the race is done don't forget to let him know he's been owned by a quad>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Eat em' alive :evilgrin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Ok. To clerify. We don't really drag. We usually trail ride and on straights I keep pace. I usually follow since I kick up a ton of dust.

In a drag, the YZ450F would take me, but not by much and it would also depend on the drag length. The longer the distance the more they will gain.
The RM250 would take us all, no questions.

Also, when I lead, they usually complain that I go too fast. :lol

We all weigh around 180-200, but I have more weight with the quad itself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Offroadace one thing I forgot to mention is that riding on the gravel logging roads (or Fire roads in U.S. maybe??) I can always beat the bikes. They just can't touch a quad in loose hardpacked hairpins and sweepers. The straightaways still don't give them enough to catch up. I hear the same thing from my buddies as you do "Slow down you're going to fast!!", or "I hate following behind you...you kick up to much dust!!!" yea right :lol . Anyone ever keep up on Pikes peak results??. Quad times are right up there with 4wd imports and bikes don't come close. So Offroadace I share your pain :blah ....cheers

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Outrider77 - New avatar just for you dude, for ruffling my feathers!!! ;) j/k

I hardly ever lead, or I should say, they hardly ever let me lead because of the dust. That is probably why I think I can only keep pace. :blah

THe only other place they lose me is when the trail gets really even choppy woops....I think that might change too with my new Damper. We'll see.

Where you from anyway?? Great White North??

·
Registered
52 Posts
1ST thing is get some Holeshots or shredders (or your choice)Stock tires suck,,I ride with my life long buddy and he ONLY rides a KX250.I smoke him when we have to get to the track (like 1 mile down the road and i weigh 225-230) i have all the usual mods to my YFZ, on the track i find he is more nimble around short turns (He is a great rider) Over woops and large corners i'm either passing him or right on his A**.Get in front of him and make him use his chest protector,,,hehe.. a 500 of any make will dust you, even the 450.
Remember Brake in GAS OUT!!
JEFF

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey yfz450td here or you can call me thomas thanks alot for all your posts and that tip on racing i will be sure too use it next time im out there!

yfz450 for life :angry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts