YFZ Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I have an 05 and I rung the nut off of the left (looking at the exhaust port on the cylinder head) bolt that secures the header to the head. I went to a shop and got another nut but it didn't fit and I managed to almost ruin the bolt and the nut was completely stripped out.

I went back to the shop and ordered 05 parts instead of settling for replacements that, as I found out, don't work. I also ordered a new bolt and exhaust gasket. Here's my question: Is this bolt just a stud that can be removed via a stud remover or do I have to split the case to replace the bolt? I have the original allen head bolt that goes on the right side and it's in good condition. Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

Also, I've owned the quad for a good year now and have ridden the w00ter out of it. I was advised when I ordered the parts that it would be a great idea to have the valves checked. Good advice?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
you havent set your valves yet!? :shocker:

i reccomend that you get them done as soon as possible. That can cause alot of damage in the motor, not a good idea to run it without the valves being done in a year. I check mine and adjust if needed about every 25-35 hours of riding

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
its always good to check your valves.as for the stud problem you can remove it without taking apart the motor you could just put a bolt in it or a stud in the other side ether or

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
QUOTE (yfzpurgatory @ Feb 15 2009, 11:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=746654
So the bolt on the left side CAN be backed out with a stud remover or just taken out when the exhaust port is open?[/b]
you have to back it out with a stud remover. install a new stud and use a nut, or just use a bolt.

yes, you should check your valves, odds are, who ever owned it before you had them adjusted after it was broken in, and if they were off too much, they would make it run crappy.

and its a good idea for you to learn how to check them yourself. it can cost a lot of cash at the stealership, and its a pretty simple process.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, thank you. Was the reply I was looking for. Going to check my service manual for some info on the valves. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts