YFZ Central banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so after riding my quad tonight after fixin it, we had it just idling in the driveway and within a few minutes the pipe was glowin! ive heard this is fairly common in the but should I invest in some header wrap? cuz its right by the radiator hose and water pump, so wouldnt it b a bad thing if they get hot to?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
This is one of the most common posts on Central. It is perfectly normal, and will not hurt anything. Wrapping your header pipe is not a bad idea, but not necessary either. If you have further questions about this, please feel free to use the "search" feature.

·
Registered
546 Posts
It is normal....check your plug to make sure your not running lean other than that you will be ok...as far as wrap do a search on here there is several threads on it and why/why not to use header wrap look them up and decide what you want as far as that goes

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha ok! i will utilize this "search" thing u you speak of and see what i come up with, and idk how it could b running lean, its bone stock from the factory

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
haha ok! i will utilize this "search" thing u you speak of and see what i come up with, and idk how it could b running lean, its bone stock from the factory

They do run lean from the factory. They have to meet some emission standards to be imported into the country. You don't know where the quad came from, or where it was set up. Was it originally picked up from a left over Yamaha warehouse auction in another part of the country, from another dealer, or set up by a new tech who didn't bother to jet it? It is always a good idea to pull the jets out, and see what is normal for your elevation.

At my dealership, we will buy left over older models from dealers going out of business, all over the nation. We also buy them from the Yamaha auctions. Fortunately, we also go through each and every one of them before we put them on the floor. You would be surprised at some of the things we find out.......

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
If you doubt me, that is fine. Research the following: All needles from 06 and newer are not adjustable from the factory, the air/fuel screw has a plug on it from the factory, so you cannot adjust it without removing the plug, everyone swaps out the tiny 42 pilot jet to at least a 45, you have a charcoal box on the left side of your quad for emissions, etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
mine has always glowed but when you just idling the bike has no way to cool because air is not flowing through your radiator...every thread on here will say DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no i definitely trust you! im on here to learn im open minded about this! thanks for your info! but i really dont know the exact history on it all i know is im the second owner and the guy before me bought it brand new from the dealer in 05, would it b worth puttin a 45 pilot in there? or just leave it alone until i decide I have enough cash for a pipe then rejet it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
What jets did you put in it? and do you have a stock pipe?

175 main / 48 pilot / stock needle on 5 clip from top / 2 turns out on screw

mods are as follows:

- big gun evo slip on exhaust (no spark arrestor screen)
- cam mod
- no air box lid with GYTR (K&N cone syle) filter

elevation is about ~2400ft

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
175 main / 48 pilot / stock needle on 5 clip from top / 2 turns out on screw

mods are as follows:

- big gun evo slip on exhaust (no spark arrestor screen)
- cam mod
- no air box lid with GYTR (K&N cone syle) filter

elevation is about ~2400ft

Dave
what screw do you have 2 turns out on

·
Registered
1 Posts
They do run lean from the factory. They have to meet some emission standards to be imported into the country. You don't know where the quad came from, or where it was set up. Was it originally picked up from a left over Yamaha warehouse auction in another part of the country, from another dealer, or set up by a new tech who didn't bother to jet it? It is always a good idea to pull the jets out, and see what is normal for your elevation.

At my dealership, we will buy left over older models from dealers going out of business, all over the nation. We also buy them from the Yamaha auctions. Fortunately, we also go through each and every one of them before we put them on the floor. You would be surprised at some of the things we find out.......

Do you prefer changing the Jets my 2018 yfz450r what a stock pipe cuz it's turning cherry red you think that's the fix it mine turns red while you're riding it thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts