YFZ Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't waste your money, this thing cost me at least 1-2 bike lenghts in a 300' sand drag when compared to my outerwears right over the filter. Here is what I read that made me want one to begin with:

Here is a part of an artical I read:

"I finally got tired of trying to find the right combination of stuff to get the performance I wanted that would last and I ended up calling our motor builder at Rossier Engineering. He had done a couple dyno tests with some stuff and recommended what I should do. He said that I should keep my larger GYT-R filter, but stopping running an outerwear directly on it. Instead I should run EHS Racing custom air box cover. In his tests, the YFZ using the EHS air box lid showed a couple more horsepower than the same filter with an outwear and no lid on the box".

http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/articl...l.jsp?id=191594

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I guess it all depends on what application you are using it for. It works great for me, being that I'm a XC racer and do plenty of trail riding.

I guess I can't really explain the lose in hp.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
QUOTE (YD-LUZ @ Feb 8 2009, 06:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=743676
Don't waste your money, this thing cost me at least 1-2 bike lenghts in a 300' sand drag when compared to my outerwears right over the filter. Here is what I read that made me want one to begin with:

Here is a part of an artical I read:

"I finally got tired of trying to find the right combination of stuff to get the performance I wanted that would last and I ended up calling our motor builder at Rossier Engineering. He had done a couple dyno tests with some stuff and recommended what I should do. He said that I should keep my larger GYT-R filter, but stopping running an outerwear directly on it. Instead I should run EHS Racing custom air box cover. In his tests, the YFZ using the EHS air box lid showed a couple more horsepower than the same filter with an outwear and no lid on the box".

http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/articl...l.jsp?id=191594[/b]
Did you re-jet after you switched set-ups?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (07HOOLIGAN @ Feb 9 2009, 12:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=744111
...soooo, it is good or a waste of $$? After reading this it sounded like a contradiction.[/b]
My opinion it's a complete waste of money!

The link I posted just so folks could see why I bought it to begin with, sounded great. I think it restricts air flow because it uses a stock lid with a cut out, not as open as no lid at all. A plain velcro outerwears on the box would be better in my opinion for a fraction of the cost.

I lost 1-2 full quad lenghts in a 300' drag when compared to an outerwears right over the filter.

No I did not re-jet, if it flows as much air as no lid I should not have had to. They also say in the instructions to run your "no lid" jetting. Taking fuel out might bring some power back, but it would still be slower!

Btw - I'm not posting this to stir up crap, just trying to help people not waste $100.00 like I did.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Well, if it flowed better (like the article said) then you would need a bigger jet. More air flow = more fuel = more hp.

Pull your outerwear off, and run without an airbox lid. If you are still losing 1-3 bike lengths, then it's more of an apples to apples comparison. Now fatten up your top end and I bet you gain 1-3 bike lengths.

Not trying to stir things up either, I just don't think you are doing a complete fair, comparison.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, let me try to be very detailed so I'm more clear. Here is the exact test I did:

1) Raced another YFZ at least 6-7 times and lost by several bike lenghts every time. I pulled the hole shot and he would come around right away. I left in 2nd and he would be around me by the time I hit 3rd. This was with a GYTR K&N style filter and the EHS lid. Noted, bike did not feel as strong as normal

2) Raced exact same YFZ less than 5 minutes later several times. Everything was the same but I took the EHS lid off. Hole shot was the same, maybe a little better, hard to tell, then I hit 3rd, still ahead, 4th still ahead by a tiny amount, 5th even and / or him by a nose. All races after were much, much closer as described.

3) For yucks, put my GYTR outerwears over my filter, same exact result as race 2 above.

No outerwears and filter with outerwears covering it ran too close to tell any difference, the EHS cover was as noted in 1 above, slower!

Now, I highly, highly doubt the EHS lid vs no lid, no outerwears would cause it to go lean. There is NO way the EHS lid is causing it to magically pull more air than an open box. It might have been a little fat due to less air like I already said.

In terms of an FCI intake, I am sure they're great. This thead is not about that, is about the EHS lid.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
well you know everything so you should know that your test is not accurate. You did not rejet. That is were you messed up. The jetting was obviously off because you change the airflow.

Im not saying the result would change because i personally do not believe that the ehs lid will create more power over no lid That doesnt make any sense to me.

And Since you already knew that aswell as you have stated above then why did you try it and why are you stating the obvious?

Oh yeah go fci if you wanna be beat that yfz

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Stix1107 @ Feb 9 2009, 05:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=744315
well you know everything so you should know that your test is not accurate. You did not rejet. That is were you messed up. The jetting was obviously off because you change the airflow.

Im not saying the result would change because i personally do not believe that the ehs lid will create more power over no lid That doesnt make any sense to me.

And Since you already knew that aswell as you have stated above then why did you try it and why are you stating the obvious?

Oh yeah go fci if you wanna be beat that yfz[/b]
I ride in mud sometimes at the same place that I sand drag. I got some crap in the air box. The pre-filter seemed to keep it off the filter, but I figured the EHS lid might keep the entire box clean and be a little safer for that reason. I did not buy it to gain power, just to keep things cleaner. Based on the article (link I posted) I was hoping for no power loss. That did not happen.

I do not know everything, never claimed to. I explained clearly why I did not think it was jetting, unless is was rich due to less airflow, in which case if I leaned it out would likely still mean a power loss due to less air flow and less fuel = less hp.

Again, this post was to help people learn from my bad experience. I was under the impression that's what this section of the forum was for.

·
Premium Member
13,948 Posts
I think what others are saying is ANYTIME you change the air/fuel ratio you need to rejet...you just saw the results of slapping something on your quad without any "tweaking". You restricted your airflow...more then just a filter wrap will do...and your jetting was fat.

And yes, this is what this forum is for. But that's like me throwing on a set of tires without filling them with air and then coming into this forum saying I don't get any traction and these aren't worth the money. :mhihi:

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
dude im just giving you a hard time. I understand you are just trying to help. lol forgive me for being a dick.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (Duane @ Feb 9 2009, 07:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=744330
I think what others are saying is ANYTIME you change the air/fuel ratio you need to rejet...you just saw the results of slapping something on your quad without any "tweaking". You restricted your airflow...more then just a filter wrap will do...and your jetting was fat.

And yes, this is what this forum is for. But that's like me throwing on a set of tires without filling them with air and then coming into this forum saying I don't get any traction and these aren't worth the money. :mhihi:[/b]
Okay, like you said, so it was rich due to less airflow which I believe...........

less airflow + less fuel (if I re-jetted) = what?????? Only 1 option, less power!

Debating this is futile.

On a positive note, the EHS lid is for sale, PM me if you want it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Geeze guys, why bust his balls? He pretty clearly tested it to see if it restricted airflow and he pretty clearly determined it does. I for one and glad he posted his results and have no problem with the fact he didn't rejet. Why bother, if you know it's restricting airflow despite it's claims....I wouldn't rejet either, knowing that I would have to change it back after I canned the lid.

·
Registered
166 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts