YFZ Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Get this: I have a K&N with a Pro Circuit setup air lid off, and a Curtis Sparks exhaust. I had my heads ported at a shop here in Mesa, AZ and then asked them to tune in the quad on the dyno. They rejetted with a 182 main jet 45 pilot with the needle on the fifth clip. They dyno'd it with and without the cam mod. I was told that it made more power (HP and torque) and also better 400' times with the exhaust cam timing stock. Both dyno runs were done on the same day with same tires etc. etc. I think this is new info to everyone and was wondering if anybody had any ideas why. Maybe the much greater air flow? :what :what

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I dunno thats hard to believe. But I guess its possible :wtf

I would like to hear more about it, I am sure they done the mod right?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Originally posted by Pahrump@Jan 15 2004, 09:28 PM
I dunno thats hard to believe. But I guess its possible :wtf

I agree with Pahrump ... make sure its done correctly

The bikes with the cam mod are about 3 bike lengths faster up comp hill @ dumont vs the bikes without it

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
i think the only thing possible is that they turned the cam counter clockwise or went clockwise but one tooth to far

G

·
Put the clip on the 6th notch of the needle.

try that

I heard of this happening to people with lots of mods. they cant feel any diference!
i dont know why though :re

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think the 182 main is a llittle big for the cam mod. I think your not being able to burn all the fuel and possibly loading up a bit. I run great with a 175. Especially if the bike was under a lot of load due to the dyno. Just my opinion. Don't have to like it but thats why we are all here to figure this kinda stuff out. :rock

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone else dynoed before and after cam mod?What Iv'e been reading that everyone that has done the cam mod has had good results.ROOSTINYFZ please keep us up on the info with the marks on the cam you have moved,maybe they did move it one tooth to many either way please check it so we can make sure that we don't have another problem.Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
How about this.....did they tell you where there is more power or how much? Believe it or not, there are guys out there with a dyno that thinks what is in our mind is wrong and what he thinks is right. A matter of opinion. Get a printout or chart it yourself. Check the spread and figure where you race or ride at in the powerrange. See if the torque and HP is usable for YOUR type of riding not HIS. Then make the decision whether the cam mod helps or not.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Originally posted by schwendi+Jan 15 2004, 10:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (schwendi @ Jan 15 2004, 10:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Pahrump@Jan 15 2004, 09:28 PM
I dunno thats hard to believe.  But I guess its possible  :wtf

I agree with Pahrump ... make sure its done correctly

The bikes with the cam mod are about 3 bike lengths faster up comp hill @ dumont vs the bikes without it [/b][/quote]
Thats correct, you can easily spot the cam mod YFZ's, they're ahead.

·
Registered
141 Posts
We've dynoed a bike same day doing the cam mod and stock. Before the cam mod the bike made good power in the mid range then fell off a bit on top. After the cam mod the bike made power sooner in the mid range and kept it longer in the upper rpms and made 2 more peak horse power at the tire. After the cam mod the bikes power range was much broader which only means a better performing machine.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys thanks for the help. I did ask for the printouts and they said that the printer is broken and that I can get it next week. I will get the printouts and keep you guys posted. What would be your suggestion for the main jet size with my mods and remember my porting. I'm at a 188 with a 45 pilot and the clip on the 5th notch and 2.5 turns on the air screw.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts