YFZ Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ran 3 of my quads on the dyno today. None of these are "built" machines, they were literally thrown together with parts I had on hand and two of them are high time motors. I'm OK with that, these were for my upcoming Glamis trip. I didn't take the time to order new gaskets to dial in squish and was learly of the SLHG mod. They could also benefit from some tuning, but overall am happy with how they run.

Quad 1
Stock Head, stock cams, cam mod position
GYTR 12.5:1 piston
FCI Intake
Old style Rossier Exhaust
Pump Gas

Needle - NCVQ, 3rd Clip
Main - 195
Pilot - 48
A/F - 2
Leak - 35
Oring Mod on Acc Pump

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Quad 2
JH Racing Ported Head, Stock valves
Stock cams, cam mod position
OEM Piston
ProDesign Filter Adapter, Airbox cut up
Old Sparks Exhaust
Pump Gas

Needle - NCVQ, 3rd Clip
Main - 175
Pilot - 48
A/F - 2
Leak - 35
Oring Mod on Acc Pump

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Quad 3
VooDoo Ported Head, Stock valves
Stock cams, cam mod position
JE 13.5:1 Piston
FCI Intake
42.5mm straight bore carb
Old Rossier with new style can Exhaust
VP110

Needle - NCVQ, 3rd Clip
Main - 199
Pilot - 45
A/F - 2 1/4
Leak - 35
Oring Mod on Acc Pump

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Looks like fairly standard numbers for relatively mild machines. Should still be plenty of fun, though. 45hp is still plenty of power for a good time. Typical power output for "big 3" bikes. Where are you located?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah, I wasn't bragging! I was just sharing for others who want to see what to expect out of certain parts. I am in North Texas. I was surprised that Quad 1 and Quad 2 were so close in numbers, they ride completely differently. I expected a bigger separation in the numbers (lower on Quad 1). They are all fun to ride but Quad 3 for only being 50ish is a ton of fun to ride, pulls hard.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Always nice to have everything dialed in on the Dyno before a big trip. You should see if you can get the Dyno sheets in the STD correction factor, that usually reads a little higher and is a better comparison to other peoples Dyno sheets.

Whats the big dip in the graph on the Voodoo build (quad 3)? Kind of looks like the clutch is slipping?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Always nice to have everything dialed in on the Dyno before a big trip. You should see if you can get the Dyno sheets in the STD correction factor, that usually reads a little higher and is a better comparison to other peoples Dyno sheets.

Whats the big dip in the graph on the Voodoo build (quad 3)? Kind of looks like the clutch is slipping?
would show about 1.5 hp higher. Were they tuned too or just put on the dyno?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yeah I could get them in STD, I didn't know any better.
As for that dip, I have no idea. The clutch is a Hinson Billet Proof, with low hours fibers, so I didn't suspect the clutch. Though it could be. The guy that owns the shop thinks it is related to the intake, and when we over layed the quad 1 graph over that one, it has the same dip (also an FCI), just not as pronounced. We were going to put the ProDesign intake on it and see what happened, but ran out of time. After my trip I will go back to see what we can do. The good news is, riding the machine I would have never guessed it had the dip, so I am not going to let it stress me out for now.

No, sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate that you were bragging. I just meant to say that they should be good to go.
Ah, no worries man.

would show about 1.5 hp higher. Were they tuned too or just put on the dyno?
Well, they were kinda "tuned". I was very limited on time, so not a lot of effort was put into it. I needed to make sure I could get all three on the rollers. They shop was allowing dyno access for me, I did all the wrenching so he could keep working. I did swap mains in Quad 1, and a pilot in quad 2. Quad 3 I didn't do anything to.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll go back and add my jetting to the posts. I am having issues with two of them still.

Quad 1 still feels very doggish, slow to rev and just doesn't pull (even though the numbers are very close to Quad 2, it is a lot slower machine). It could very well be a worn out top end, but we noted that even with a 195 main it wouldn't noticeably richen it up. We wrapped 2/3 of the filter with duct tape, and it still barely richened up. I couldn't find an air leak on the intake, but there has to be something going on.

Quad 2 has a decel pop going on. I richened up the pilot and the fuel screw both and it didn't affect he pop but made it run worse so I went back. Maybe I have a bad header gasket. I haven't looked into it

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Yeah I could get them in STD, I didn't know any better.
As for that dip, I have no idea. The clutch is a Hinson Billet Proof, with low hours fibers, so I didn't suspect the clutch. Though it could be. The guy that owns the shop thinks it is related to the intake, and when we over layed the quad 1 graph over that one, it has the same dip (also an FCI), just not as pronounced. We were going to put the ProDesign intake on it and see what happened, but ran out of time. After my trip I will go back to see what we can do. The good news is, riding the machine I would have never guessed it had the dip, so I am not going to let it stress me out for now.

Ah, no worries man.

Well, they were kinda "tuned". I was very limited on time, so not a lot of effort was put into it. I needed to make sure I could get all three on the rollers. They shop was allowing dyno access for me, I did all the wrenching so he could keep working. I did swap mains in Quad 1, and a pilot in quad 2. Quad 3 I didn't do anything to.
so if you didnt' tune quad 3 at all you might be able to get more of that dip out with a good tune and another couple hp. heck I would have worked quad 3 on the tune the longest since you had the most done to that one lol. in STD untuned it would have been just at or a shade over 52hp I think....not bad. BTW, I've been told and have read that your exhaust and intake could cause dips like that one as well. could be various things but tuning would help.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I'll go back and add my jetting to the posts. I am having issues with two of them still.

Quad 1 still feels very doggish, slow to rev and just doesn't pull (even though the numbers are very close to Quad 2, it is a lot slower machine). It could very well be a worn out top end, but we noted that even with a 195 main it wouldn't noticeably richen it up. We wrapped 2/3 of the filter with duct tape, and it still barely richened up. I couldn't find an air leak on the intake, but there has to be something going on.

Quad 2 has a decel pop going on. I richened up the pilot and the fuel screw both and it didn't affect he pop but made it run worse so I went back. Maybe I have a bad header gasket. I haven't looked into it
check your carb boot for air leaks and make sure your exhaust gasket on the head is still good on quad 2. definitely shouldn't need a 195 on quad 1 I don't think with those mods. your jetting should look close to quad 2 for that one. AFR looks ok but something is a miss....especially with that big of a main in there.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Does the intake have a insert on the filter end of the tube?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
check your carb boot for air leaks and make sure your exhaust gasket on the head is still good on quad 2. definitely shouldn't need a 195 on quad 1 I don't think with those mods. your jetting should look close to quad 2 for that one. AFR looks ok but something is a miss....especially with that big of a main in there.
Thanks for the input and suggestions. I'll be working on them mot when I get home from Glamis. All three are running good, the decel pop went away on quad 2 and I put a new battery on quad 1and it is running tons better. I'm sure something is still off. Ill get it back on the dyno and sort it out.

Does the intake have a insert on the filter end of the tube?
No, I took them out of all my tubes per your recommendation a while back.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where is this shop at? I'm in the west texas area and would like to have mine put on the dyno. There aren't any around here so i would have to travel a ways. Would you recommend this shop?
Cycle Werkz in Ft. Worth. Ask for Scott. He isnt an ATV guy but is a AMA Superbike mechanic and also builds drag motorcycles so he is pretty knowledgeable.

If you want a quad specific tuner, Rage Racing is probably your closest option. I have used him in the past as well.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For all the bikes having similar mods it seems like the jetting is very different on them.
They really aren't that similar actually. The first one shouldn't need that big of a main however. We found an airleak on the intake boot that was only noticable at the upper RPM range under load. Passed the starting fluid leak test at idle and higher RPM.

It will be back on the dyno in May, so we will see how fixing that really affected the jetting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.