YFZ Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting into flat track (dirt) racing and I would need to buy a set of flat track tires. I would like to get a set of American Racer or Maxxis Razr TT tires but they are both expensive and Im tight on money at the moment. I was considering buying the Duro Scorcher tires but I think there meant for asphalt racing and not dirt track. Does anyone use the Duro Scorcher tires for dirt flat track racing?

·
Registered
668 Posts
They are heavy and hard get some Hoosiers they are like 100 a tire like rd20 compound 18x9.5x10 for rears and 18x5.5x10 rd15 compound fronts or look up Kerby Cooke or brad ryley on Facebook they are always selling tires with over half tread left

·
Registered
668 Posts
Actually think the rears measure 18.5x9.5x10 but remember you'll need 10" rims to run those tires for the rear if on a budget your front rims will work just fine

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im planning on getting a extra set of rims just for the flat track tires. I read that the rears to use are 18x10x10 and the fronts are 18x6x10. Do I have to use 10x10 rear wheels or will 10x9 or 10x8 wheels work? 10x9 and 10x8 wheels are easier to find and a little cheaper than 10x10. I think 10x9 would work but 10x8 might cause the bead to blow in a corner and that's what im worried about. I know I can use 10x5 in the front.

·
Registered
103 Posts
10x10, 10x9, and 10x8 will all work. 10x8 will cause the sidewall to not have as much support and have a greater risk of blowing out a sidewall in a hard corner. I had a set of american racer 18x10x10 on 10x9's and they looked almost perfect. The edges of the tire tread area were just about dead even with the bead of the rims. I run 10x10's now, which makes the edges of the tire tread a little narrower than the bead of the wheels.

·
Registered
103 Posts
A friend of mine owns the local yamaha shop and just bought a couple sets of rear hoosiers with about 60% tread left on a set of wheels. If you want, I can ask him about what he wants for them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the offer but I don't have the money to buy any tires this year. Im going to buy the wheels and tires next year when I get my tax return. Also thanks for the info on the wheels. Now I will know what size wheels to buy when I get the tires.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check out the new Tires and wheels by Goldspeed for Flat track. There will be vendors at the EDT series selling the Goldspeed Tires and wheels and offering at the track discounts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts