YFZ Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just wanted to get some opinions on front tires for sand. I run haulers on the rear and have been looking at mohawks for the front. Just curious what peoples takes are on these. I've also heard good things about sand star fronts? All opinions will be appreciated. I want a good drag/dune tire

Also I've heard you won't find a better front tire for traction than stock knobbies- Is that true? Cause I still wanna be able to turn- I think that's kinda important

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I really like the mohawks. They are lighter than the sand stars which is nice for dragging, they look great with haulers and they have pretty decent control, almost as good as sand stars in dry sand, and every bit as good in wet sand. The sand stars are also nice and I liked them when I had them but I prefer my mohawks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You for the quick reply. I personally like the look of hawks better but I don't know. Do you get a lot of plowing affect with hawks?

·
dippy doodle
2,801 Posts
I have a set of the itp dune star's on both of my quads and I really like them. I also had the sand stars and there pretty good to.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
As with anything... depends on so many different variables. Sand composition, riding type, and even temperature. If we know the environment and style of riding we can tell you exactly what would be best. Mohawks or sand stars would be the two best options really.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well when you turn the bars and the tires turn you actually kind of plow/slide before it actually starts and with some tires it still does it all the way through the turn

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have Mohawks and really like them, although I haven't used Sand Stars. Either way I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I run the 21x7x10 Skat~Trak Buffed Mohawks out in Glamis. They are VERY light!! and the steering is awesome! If theres one thing ive learned from duning the last 8 years its.. Less Weight = More Horsepower

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
In dry sand I think the mohawks push a little more than the sand stars, but in damp sand you cant tell the difference. This is what I thought you meant I just want to make sure!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well thank you guys hawks it is. Do you think the double buff hawks will hold up to jumps and stuff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts