YFZ Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
planning on going to silver lake this summer. working on getting a group together and possibly staying at an airbnb due to the fact that every camp site is booked. lol. i’ve never been dune riding before. any tips or tricks would be appreciated. certain things to look out for. novice mistakes to avoid. etc. you get the gist. also, is there a shop to rent out paddle tires? not looking forward to buying a set of tires i’m going to use 1 time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I’ve never been to the dunes but always wanted. I picked up these sand stars for $200 last month. Guy said they were used 2 times and I believe him. If I were you id just get a flag and have a good time and you will figure it out

·
Registered
145 Posts
planning on going to silver lake this summer. working on getting a group together and possibly staying at an airbnb due to the fact that every camp site is booked. lol. i’ve never been dune riding before. any tips or tricks would be appreciated. certain things to look out for. novice mistakes to avoid. etc. you get the gist. also, is there a shop to rent out paddle tires? not looking forward to buying a set of tires i’m going to use 1 time.
If you’re only going once, paddles won’t be necessary.
A few tricks: the dunes could be super lippy, meaning the tips of jumps peak extremely, it could possibly drop off instead of plateau so only go fast and jump in areas you’ve already been in. Other then that its mostly experience that cbs help you from there. With more experience it becomes easy to read the dunes and know how to ride hard on them safely. If you crash, it won’t hurt you unless you crash really badly. I once was riding my banshee in 5th gear up sand mtn through the whoops and crashed so bad that the tires came off the wheels. I barely even got bruised. Just be cautious and more importantly, have fun!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you do get into duning, get skat-trak triple buffs on blue label dwt wheels. Super light! Don’t get them if there are lots of debris such as rocks, roots, etc. Then a set of itp sandstar with yellow label dwt wheels will suffice. Remember, the less rotational weight, the more speed.🤟🙃

·
Registered
10 Posts
As mentioned above I wouldn’t go full speed anywhere you haven’t already driven. There can be deep holes as well especially on the downside of the challenge hill. If it’s a busy weekend there’s more danger in other people than your own driving. Sand tires do make a huge difference. Keep an eye on craigslist or marketplace you usually can pick a set up for 100-200 bucks rears only on rims.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
DUNES ARE FUN BEST RIDING EVER, BUT DANGEROUS IF U NOT CAREFUL WILL EAT KRAPP IF U NOT CAREFUL. Some dunes suddenly drop off sharply and cannot be seen on a bright sunny day. Take it easy at 1st scout the area u riding before going balls deeep on the throttle or else u gonna eat krap. SAND can sometimes blend in fool u thinking its flat even and can sometimes have a small bowl in your path and u can miss it.

I RECOMMEBD GOOD GOGGLES, THE ONES THAT MAKE U SEE BETTER IN DAY TIME, U KNOW THOSE FOX SPARK LENSES OR SPY NOT SUre WHAT THEY called but polarized or spark lenses a must. TAKE A 2ND PAIR OF GOGGLEZ CLEAR lense FOR NIGHT RIDING. BE VERY CAREFul at night. Need good lighting. U gonna burn up thru gas A LOT FASTER. TAKE PLENTY FUEL

Be safe HAVE fun.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Avoid "wet" or "waxy" chain lube. It gonna wear out chain and sprockets fast. If in doubt wipe it dry before ride.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts